Asturian Tree Cabbage
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Apparently the seeds for this can only be bought from Real Seeds? Real Seeds are out of stock so this is a plea for a few seeds off anyone who has any? Huh
If I could just get one plant I think it can be propagated from cuttings, but getting that one plant is harder than it seems.

I will gladly pay for the seeds and P&P. Or if anyone knows where I could purchase some, that would be better.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
(13-03-2021, 01:38 PM)Vinny Wrote: Apparently the seeds for this can only be bought from Real Seeds? Real Seeds are out of stock so this is a plea for a few seeds off anyone who has any? Huh
If I could just get one plant I think it can be propagated from cuttings, but getting that one plant is harder than it seems.

I will gladly pay for the seeds and P&P. Or if anyone knows where I could purchase some, that would be better.
I have "Couve Galega - Portuguese Walking Stick Cabbage" if that's any use?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had some old seeds but they didn't germinate when I sowed them a few weeks ago.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(13-03-2021, 01:40 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 01:38 PM)Vinny Wrote: Apparently the seeds for this can only be bought from Real Seeds? Real Seeds are out of stock so this is a plea for a few seeds off anyone who has any? Huh

Many thanks for the offer Danny. I have grown walking stick cabbage before but its not what I am really after. Good luck with yours though. Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(13-03-2021, 02:13 PM)Veggie Wrote: I had some old seeds but they didn't germinate when I sowed them a few weeks ago.
Not to worry Veggie. Looks like I will have to give it a miss for this year unless I visit Jason (Jay-el) and snaffle a cutting if he still has a plant or two. (30 mile trip though) Cry Rolleyes

I was impressed by the light colouration and softness of the leaves, somewhat like a cross between a cabbage and a lettuce.Also its hardiness and ability to be grown from cuttings with its short lived perennial nature. Smile
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I remember previous discussions about whether the perennial brassicas I grow were Asturian tree cabbage or not - and the jury (You and Jayell) couldn't decide.
Whatever it was, I still have it. Smile
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(13-03-2021, 02:40 PM)Veggie Wrote: I remember previous discussions about whether the perennial brassicas I grow were Asturian tree cabbage or not - and the jury (You and Jayell) couldn't decide.
Whatever it was, I still have it. Smile
I think they are very distinctive with the light colouration of the leaves , more resembling a lettuce. Also, for some reason the flying rats aren't keen on them. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Our old discussion is still on the other place - with photos.Wink
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(13-03-2021, 02:19 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 01:40 PM)Broadway Wrote:

Many thanks for the offer Danny. I have grown walking stick cabbage before but its not what I am really after. Good luck with yours though. Cool
No worries Vinney, any advice on the walking stick cabbage apart from don't botherSmile

They are about 4" now I was thinking of planting them out?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Juust an update on the Austurian Tree Cabbage. I had the idea of letting a few go to seed from the seeds I managed to aquire and grow  in 2022. The inflorecences came but didn't ssem to be making seed? I cut those down and lo and behold some of the sideshoots have grown on and appear to hae gien me a perennial cabbage! Cool
I have a feeling it will be a short lived perennial so I intend taking some cuttings at some point and see if I can propagate them similar to Daubenton's kale. Watch this space! Smile
  • Broadway, Veggie