Geoff Hamilton
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Because the charity shops are closed my supply of Historical fiction books has dried up. I've even read all my gruesome murder books.

Getting desperate, I decided to start reading  Geoff Hamiltons Cottage Garden book last night in bed. I have had this book for ages along with others from the same author, if and when I find them. Rolleyes
I am finding it very interesting and the bloke seems a man after my own heart with a sort of sense he was anti-establishment and a bit of a rebel at heart.
Looking forward to reading how the cottage garden has evolved through the ages from its humble beginnings. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, mcdood, Moth, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

mcdood Offline
When people talk of who was their Dr Who, Geoff Hamilton was my gardeners world presenter. I thought he was great.
[-] The following 3 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
It's one of my favourite books and an inspiration for design and hard landscaping as much as the pure planting.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Bob Flowerdew was my hero, I met him once at Gardeners World and was almost dumbstruck... Them we realised that the displays were being dismantled as was late the last day and very quickly started collecting contributions to bring home in car x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 4 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Bren, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Vinny I would recommend that you go to Barnsdale Gardens, which was his garden, it is the most peaceful relaxing garden I have ever visited and I have visited a lot of gardens all over Britain
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(15-03-2021, 08:52 PM)Mamzie Wrote: Bob Flowerdew was my hero, I met him once at Gardeners World and was almost dumbstruck... Them we realised that the displays were being dismantled as was late the last day and very quickly started collecting contributions to bring home in car x
I have a few of Bobs books as well. Geoff and Bob are my favourite down to earth gardeners but I must confess I don't mind Monty either even though he aint a trained gardener.
I wonder if Bob and Geoff ever met? Huh I remember Bob hoarding milk bottles full of his own pee to feed his plants! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Mamzie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Tony Hamilton wrote a book, "My Brother Geoff" - it was a bit of an eye opener, but there's no denying Geoff Hamilton was one of the greats who turned the country to growing organically. Adam Frost, who presents on GW, worked for Geoff in his early years.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Mamzie, Vinny

Bren Offline
(16-03-2021, 09:10 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(15-03-2021, 08:52 PM)Mamzie Wrote: Bob Flowerdew was my hero, I met him once at Gardeners World and was almost dumbstruck... Them we realised that the displays were being dismantled as was late the last day and very quickly started collecting contributions to bring home in car x
I have a few of Bobs books as well. Geoff and Bob are my favourite down to earth gardeners but I must confess I don't mind Monty either even though he aint a trained gardener.
I wonder if Bob and Geoff ever met? Huh I remember Bob hoarding milk bottles full of his own pee to feed his plants! Big Grin

I'm another Bob Flowerdew fan his books are amongst my favourites and I always go back to them.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Mamzie, mcdood, Vinny

mcdood Offline
(16-03-2021, 09:10 AM)Vinny Wrote:

I seem to remember Bob doing a regular slot on GW at one time when Geoff presented so I'm pretty sure they did.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Mamzie, Vinny

mcdood Offline
BTW Bob is still a regular presenter on Gardeners question time.
[-] The following 3 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Bren, Mamzie, Vinny