Recommended seed suppliers
Spec Offline
Viewing the different seed catalogues there are different prices for the same seed, but does a higher price indicate better quality or is it just snobbery that makes us buy the more expensively priced products

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have no idea as I always buy cheap.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Spec

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
swings and roundabouts. The high cost doesn't tend to just relate to the seed, smaller companies are likely to have higher costs elsewhere (staff, rent, more carriage charges due to less bought etc.) so it has to be past on. Bigger companies may have high costs in relation to wastage (expired seed, damaged packs etc.) I am certainly not a snob with seed prices but i will pay more for companies that are consistent and decent in relation to quality and customer service.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 4 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • JJB, Spec, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I applaud and agree withyour principles NG.
Unfortunately, one particular small seed supplier sent me tomato seeds which were not true to type, i.e they came up potato leaved when the shouldnt have been, I emailed nicely, giving them the heads up that their seed had been compromised, not wanting a refund or anything, and never even had an acknowledgement. Never gone back. As you say swings and roundabouts and if you find a good 'un stick with them.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, Spec, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Consumers pay a premium for brand name goods. A variety receiving an RHS AGM also seems to drive its price up. It can be hard to find newer varieties for a decent price unless T&M etc. are having a sale...perhaps they pay for exclusivity rights?

The seed is likely from the same big seed producer/wholesaler, just in a different packet under a different brand. Most of the well known seed companies do not produce the majority of the seed they sell. An eBay company like Premier Seed Direct are just taking that same seed and putting it in cheaper packaging and keeping their costs low by being online only.

Take Sungold F1 tomato for example. It was originally bred by a Japanese company called Tokita, but Tozer Seeds (a big seed producer & breeder) have exclusive rights to this variety in the UK, so presumably all of the UK seed companies selling it have to get it from them. Here are the prices for a packet of 10 seeds of Sungold F1 tomato (apart from T&M who only put 8 in the pack  Angry ):

Suttons - £3.99
T&M - £3.99
Marshalls - £3.29
DT Brown - £3.29
Kings Seeds - £2.70
SimplySeed - £1.79
Premier Seed Direct - £1.29

The more well known the company is, the more they seem to charge Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Apparently BVG Group, the parent company of Thompson & Morgan, bought Suttons earlier this month. Now they own Thompson & Morgan, Van Meuwen, Suttons, Dobies and The Organic Gardening Catalogue!
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Norfolk Grey, Spec, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks TMTT. My favoured seed supplier is Premier Seeds, they don't always have the variety I want but they're reasonably priced with low p&p with the added benefit of my buying local. It means I can splurge without a guilty conscience.
Greetings from Salisbury

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-11-2020, 03:07 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Apparently BVG Group, the parent company of Thompson & Morgan, bought Suttons earlier this month. Now they own Thompson & Morgan, Van Meuwen, Suttons, Dobies and The Organic Gardening Catalogue!

Monopoly or what?
Greetings from Salisbury

toomanytommytoes Offline
(29-11-2020, 03:11 PM)JJB Wrote:
(29-11-2020, 03:07 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Apparently BVG Group, the parent company of Thompson & Morgan, bought Suttons earlier this month. Now they own Thompson & Morgan, Van Meuwen, Suttons, Dobies and The Organic Gardening Catalogue!

Monopoly or what?
Then you have Mr Fothergills which also owns DT Brown and Johnsons, and Marshalls/Unwins is owned by Westland. More reason to support the smaller companies I guess.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't find Big is best at all. A large part of their costs are advertising- glossy catalogues, large spreads in magazines or in certain forums. Nor do I trust the variety names they use - too many gimmicks.
I prefer to pay a little more to an ethical company than to a fat cat with fingers in every seed trough.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli, Spec