Tomatoes for the windowsill
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have,  and am, growing Red Robin windowsill tomatoes for myself but primarily for giveaways to non gardener friends.  Next year (or maybe even this year) I've a mind to diversify and try a different variety.   I see there's Sweet 'n Neat and Micro Tom, anyone have experience of these and any others.  I'm growing Vilma but think they might be a bit too tall for a windowsill.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
All the ones on my Early Tomato seed list will stay in small pots for life.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-02-2021, 02:29 PM)Veggie Wrote: All the ones on my Early Tomato seed list will stay in small pots for life.

It's not so much small pots as how much vegetation,  I've got a feeling say 12" tall x 12" wide is about as much as a pot plant and anything taller or wider would be an encumbrance.   Just wondered if anything better thanRred Robin was out there.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hahms Gelbe Topftomate Will stay in a small pot on the windowsill. Maybe a foot tall.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-02-2021, 08:21 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Hahms Gelbe Topftomate Will stay in a small pot on the windowsill. Maybe a foot tall.

Sounds a good candidate,  Scarlet, but can't find a supply of seeds Sad
Greetings from Salisbury

toomanytommytoes Offline
I should have some Hahms Gelbe seed in a few months. The last batch of grow tent tomatoes got botrytis so I didn't want to save any seed. Now I've sterilised the tent and improved airflow there hopefully won't be any fungal issues this time.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, mcdood

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-02-2021, 11:53 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I should have some Hahms Gelbe seed in a few months. The last batch of grow tent tomatoes got botrytis so I didn't want to save any seed. Now I've sterilised the tent and improved airflow there hopefully won't be any fungal issues this time.

TMTT, I'm quite happy to wait for a seed swap, if and when you have any available.  Much appreciated.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • toomanytommytoes

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
If I have a lot of tomato plants and can't give them away I sometimes bung single plants into a 4 or 5 inch pot and stop them one leaf after the first truss has set. Cool Mine are usually kept on the greenhouse staging but never attain more than 1 foot in height so would fit onto a windowsill for early tomatoes. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Another sign I'm losing it! Sad My shallot seeds arrived this morning and amongst the order ( which I had forgotten about) was a pack of Veranda Red tomato seeds, so they will be my windowsill experiment this year. Strangely, some companies say they're F1, but premier seeds don't mention that. I'll save seed anyway.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
I think it is probably F1 considering how resistant it is to various diseases.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie