Setting up a propagation bench in the GH
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
OK, so after reading Specs thread on heating cables I've suddenly realised I can't do without a heat bed to take dahlia cuttings and start of some seedlings. 

I hate DIY and the thought of buying in all the bits...so I've been researching - I've come across the HOTBOX Heatwave mats. It's a complete set up and probably a less fuss option for me.
You buy the heatmat the size of your requirements and they supply the thermostat.
You put it on your bench on top of a thick layer of polystyrene, plastic/pond liners? on top and then a layer of capillary matting. Plug it in and away to go.

I like the simplicity of it. I'm very much tempted even though I should be spending my pennies on a kitchen sink.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Spec, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Hi Scarlet

Just curious, why would you go for a mat rather than a heated propagator?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Maybe a heated propagator of the size Scarlet wants would need a bank loan.Wink
Sometimes, all you need is bottom heat, not an enclosed space!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
(08-02-2021, 12:24 PM)Veggie Wrote: Maybe a heated propagator of the size Scarlet wants would need  a bank loan.Wink
Sometimes, all you need is bottom heat, not an enclosed space!
Fair enough the cost did cross my mind.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • JJB

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
True - heated propagators are not cheap! I've just ordered a GeoPod, as I don't have anywhere that's both warm enough and light enough to raise chillies, tomatoes, etc, in the face of The Beast From The East. It's the cheapest I could find that has both a variable thermostat and lights, but still a big chunk of change.

Still, I figure it'll easily pay for itself over its lifetime, given how expensive chilli plants are (and the limited choice of varieties) in the garden centre!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, size really.

I have a couple of basic heated propagators ( bought 20 years ago) but I want a large bench - hoping to fit the longest bench in the greenhouse which is 2.3metres, 60cm deep. I would like to bring on cuttings too.
The heatmat with thermostat is £200 for that size. I need a sheet of polystyrene and some plastic and then good to go.

I suppose I could justify cost with it will save me a fortune on buying in plants :tubers etc but it is a hobby too?
[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, Farendwoman, JJB, mcdood, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(08-02-2021, 01:17 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I suppose I could justify cost with it will save me a fortune on buying in plants :tubers etc but it is a hobby too?

That's pretty much what I do. I like to know that I'm making a profit on (most of) my food seed purchases, in terms of how much produce I get back, but I count the rest of my expenses as part of the hobby of gardening. After all, I could get away with spending next-to-nothing if I made the effort to comb Freecycle, build my own stuff, etc, but I just don't have time for that right now.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have got a big garden and if I just bought in plants to fill it every year it would cost me a fair amount Big Grin
Just trying to justify it as I ve just bought it Big Grin
I've probably saved that on no coffee visits over this year?
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That's how I justified buying the Hotbin.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I've saved a lot over the past twelve months by not travelling overseas - most of it has been ploughed into the garden renovations (pun intended!).
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie