Sloping gardens
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Such a shame and waste of your valuable time Pros, you must be well and truly gutted. Some years ago I did the probate when dad died and between spouses it was fairly quick, but in these times and with years in which to complicate matters, I expect they can draw it out longer. House buying is said to be more stressful than divorce, in your case I can believe it. We've all got our fingers crossed for you. As SC said good vibes winging your way.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Don't know what to say, Pros, that doesn't involve language that I'd have to Ban myself for.
I hope it all works out for you in the way that you want it to. x
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Here’s a few virtual hugs and good vibes from over the Irish Sea, some lucky shamrocks as well. Hope all goes well for you Proserpina.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have always believed the house choses you Pros, if this falls totally through, I am sure the house of your dreams will soon be calling you.

We looked at a house once and thought this is It! But it all fell through after some legal technicalities. 5 years ago the place was demolished as it started sliding down the hill.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I'm so sorry to hear about this Proserpina Sad I've just been through house buying, and to complicate matters we were selling two houses on the same day.

It was difficult enough to get an offer accepted on a house we liked, let alone actually get solicitors to do their work in a timely fashion. I've never relied on my project management skills so heavily before.

Try to take comfort in that you can probably not affect the time it will take them to do the probate, other than agreeing with yourself how long you feel you can wait and let them know about that.

Other than that, I can only advise that you look at what else is up for sale, and if something comes along that you like, go see them. For me, that would make me feel like I'm doing all I can do, which relieves stress.

Big hugs
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Thanks guys. I'm feeling pretty despondent about it today. I'm struggling to see how this existing planned purchase can possibly work out. Even if I'm willing to wait, my vendor will probably lose her new-build before probate comes through. I'm going to try and speak with the EA tomorrow (I think they are handling both the sale of this house and the new build) and see if they can make things any clearer.

I've also had a look on Rightmove to see if there is anything else for me to view. There's not really anything in my budget with a decent garden that won't have already had offers (just not been marked as sold on the site yet). I still have email alerts set up, so I can ask to view anything that does come up but even if I found a new house tomorrow and everything goes smoothly, I'll not be in before the end of the year. Prices have risen since my offer was accepted, so I probably need to accept that I'm going to have to pay more than I'm entirely comfortable with in order to get a comparable property. Thankfully, I do have some wiggle room to increase my budget a bit, but I still can't afford as much as I could if I were one-half of a couple who were jointly earning what I am earning alone.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Fingers crossed that you find a house seen, Pros - whether its the one you're waiting for or another "surprising item" that falls into your shopping basket.
I'm missing "looking" at your estate agents' listings so keep looking, just to keep me happy. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(12-09-2021, 11:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: Fingers crossed that you find a house seen, Pros - whether its the one you're waiting for or another "surprising item" that falls into your shopping basket.
I'm missing "looking" at your estate agents' listings so keep looking, just to keep me happy. Smile

How about this for one I can't remotely afford and would lead to a six-hour commute each way? I reckon this one could work for both of us (if the price and location were right).
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
What a stunning setting Pros, they do like their bright colours, don't they?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Pros, a crazy suggestion from the keyboard of the mistress of craziness - have you considered working in another location? Move to where there's a suitable house that you can afford.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB