Sowing by the phase of the moon
Spec Offline
Qurious to know if anyone practices sowing or growing by the phases of the moon, I can understand how the water level can be affected by the moon but does it make any difference to seed growth, so if you use it is there a noticeable difference?
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I don''t practice Moon Gardening but it does have its followers.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Lunar planting is a bit like dig or no dig, each of us have their preferred method.

I am happy with traditional methods personally
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I tried to follow it but it wasn't random enough for me. Since I rarely know what day it is, a regime that changes halfway through a day is a non-starter.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Spec

Bren Offline
I like to sow when I feel like it a lot of the time it depends on the weather.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
(03-02-2021, 06:44 PM)Bren Wrote: I like to sow when I feel like it a lot of the time it depends on the weather.

Bren is it the weather or the phase of the Moon RolleyesTongue
  • Bren, Can the Man

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(03-02-2021, 04:38 PM)Spec Wrote: Qurious to know if anyone practices sowing or growing by the phases of the moon, I can understand how the water level can be affected by the moon but does it make any difference to seed growth, so if you use it is there a noticeable difference?

I do, to some extent. I'm not sure it makes a big difference, and I certainly don't believe in the more "woo-woo" aspects of the practice Big Grin

The main reason I do it is that it helps to structure the busier times of the year - instead of rushing around like a crazy woman, I can sow leafy crops one week, fruiting crops the next, roots the next, and then do my other tasks (like putting up bird boxes or cleaning tools) at the end of the cycle.

That said, I'm not too bothered if life or the weather doesn't play ball and I have to sow things in the "wrong" quarter in order to get them in on time. I don't want to have to wait four weeks to sow something, if it really needs to be started this month in order to have the best growing conditions.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
My neighbour is a great one for not pruning, especially vines (and he comes from a vineyard background) when the moon is full, or when there is the biggest pull on the sap.
I'm not so sure and suspect it is derived from the earliest phases of prehistoric farming and agriculture when some kind of calendar and order was needed, exactly as Eyren says.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Eyren, Veggie

Spec Offline
(04-02-2021, 11:22 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: My neighbour is a great one for not pruning, especially vines (and he comes from a vineyard background) when the moon is full, or when there is the biggest pull on the sap.
I'm not so sure and suspect it is derived from the earliest phases of prehistoric farming and agriculture when some kind of calendar and order was needed, exactly as Eyren says.

You could be right with that PP, yet Veggie hasn't mastered it, even yetRolleyes
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That's because I have my own Calendar - so don't need to copy others.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Spec