Non gardening tool query
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Basically I was looking for a crochet hook in amongst my huge stores of haberdashery, my own and inherited. 
I found these pliers once belonging to MiL.  Anyone know what they might have been used for?
They were made by Maun Industries of Mansfield and I can even find a replica for sale on Ebay, but no mention of their particular use.

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(02-02-2021, 01:44 PM)JJB Wrote: Basically I was looking for a crochet hook in amongst my huge stores of haberdashery, my own and inherited. 
I found these pliers once belonging to MiL.  Anyone know what they might have been used for?
They were made by Maun Industries of Mansfield and I can even find a replica for sale on Ebay, but no mention of their particular use.
JJB they look like a callipers pliers do they open when you squeeze them or do they close ?
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
My guess would be for jewellery making. They look similar to a pair of pliers I have. Scarlet is our resident jewellery maker. She will be able to tell you if my guess is right or completely nonsense.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Jimny14 Offline
Yep they're double round loop making pliers for bending wire. I dont really like them as I prefer the half round (one conical and one flat jaw) for making loops but that's probably only because I learnt to do it that way. Very useful in the dental laboratory for making coils for springs to move teeth. Used to love doing wire work.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
The only thing I have seen similar to these is for nipping the brake rubber flexi hoses on a car to stop brake fluid coming out while you work on the brakes. If they don't lock shut tho, this would become a two man job.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
They close when gripped and don't lock shut. I think Jimny might be right in the making double wire loops (that's what P thought, don't you just hate when they're right!) I can't imagine what MiL did with them, as far as I know she never made jewellery.
Thanks for the help, all of you.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
I know them as wire bending pliers
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Jimny14 Offline
https://www.maunindustries.com/pliers-to...er-140-mm/

Here's the link to maun website. These are the modern (I think smaller) ones.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie