Spring onions
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all,

In the past, I've had White Lisbon seeds from various mixed seeds packs that we grew for spring onions. Is there any other variety you grow as spring onions? Can anything be a spring onion if harvested at the right time?

In an aside, I have some little white/purple alliums that are growing around my plot. I think they might be bulbed up White Lisbon but I'm not sure! Must be more organized next year! (This year!)

Thanks!
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Admin Offline
The Boss
I plant excess sets about 1cm apart and use those in salads once they have filled the gap
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, mcdood, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I grow Ishikura and Apache (a red one) but really I grow anything that comes along - usually on a magazine cover.
They all take longer than you think they should.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, mcdood

mcdood Offline
I usually grow White Lisbon but have some Ishikura to try this year and I do like the look of the red ones. I think you could take any onion young and treat as a scallion or indeed you can let the spring onion grow into an onion, White Lisbon makes a very strong normal onion, I only tried it once.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • doublyjonah

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(29-01-2021, 07:04 PM)Admin Wrote: I plant excess sets about 1cm apart and use those in salads once they have filled the gap
That's exactly what I do. Peel the outer husk off once the 'set' has leafed up and you have a perfect spring onion! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I've been growing Guardsman this last year - I think they're a cross between White Lisbon and Ishikura? They grew pretty slowly, but we had a weird year weather-wise, with a really dry spring, hot summer and very wet (for East Anglia) autumn.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah