Preparing new ground
Spec Offline
Brick 
Two years ago I along with my grandsons cleared a small bit of ground in a field that has been left to go wild, but unfortunately we couldn't do any work on it last year, but hopefully we should be able to work on it this year, but having a look at it the other day it has reverted back to a wild field again, so looking for ideas on how to clean it out again, I would like to go no dig, but I don't have sufficient home made compost for that to work and no access to barrow in anything like manure, but there is a lot of dead wood from hedge cuttings near by and I could get my shredder into the field, so do you think that would work or would I just be wasting my time
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What has regrown? Is it grass, brambles..????
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
Docks, couch grass and every other wild grass there is, it looks as if it had never been touched, everything must have been ready to pounce whenever there was a cleared bit of ground Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You can't turn your back on bare ground.............best to take a photo once you've cleared as it'll never look as clear again. Smile
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
This regularly happens to me. What I do (not recommended by any one that I have ever seen) is to turn it over one spit deep with a fork if possible, otherwise a spade and roughly rake. If possible just before planting out what i want to grow there so it gets a head start. I've done this mainly before planting things like potatoes, squash, courgette, Could work with brassicas as well. But be prepared to weed round some plants and use a hoe. I think I've even planted out peas and beans started in trays.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
This is where I agrue with hubby loads. I always thing when you dig you bring fresh seeds to the top and give them chance to grow. I would put a barrier on top and put plants through into planting holes
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 4 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, mcdood, Spec

Broadway Offline
I had the plot covered for 6 months with membrane.

For the pallet collar raised beds I didn't dig, I removed the membrane, then layered wood chips, cardboard, grass clippings, and manure. The test will be this yearSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, mcdood

Spec Offline
What I would like to do is go over the ground with a flame gun, but the area of ground I will be working doesn't want the price I would need to pay to get one, using one would both eliminate the need to cover the ground for the length of time Broadway has done so and it stops any buried weeds being turned up to the light
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What do you intend to grow there?
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
The boys want to gro flowers so I was thinking cauliflower