Hens - the pros and cons for a newbie!
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My garden feels empty when its chook-less!

I agree with SC's list although I haven't gone down the meat road.

The initial set up costs can mount up but if you have an existing shed/structure that you can use or are handy and can build something, its a good start.
Some sort of enclosure to keep out pests, I've roofed mine so its also dry underfoot - as much for my benefit as theirs.Wink
Mine freerange whenever Avian flu restrictions/weather allow but, be warned, they like your veg plot as much as you do. Veg and hens need separating although I don't worry too much myself.

Give some thought to how many hens you actually need to keep you in eggs/meat or to share with others.
I made that mistake and started with 8 and had far more eggs than I needed.  I would sell eggs for a £1 a dozen to friends and neighbours and the cash went into a pot to pay for food etc. There was always more than enough cash to pay their food bills.

My ex-commercial hens were about 12 months old when I got them - supposedly reducing in egg production. The 3 chooks lay 2 or 3 eggs every day - about 18 a week.
The 4 hens eat a sack of layers pellets every month roughly - that £6/7. They also have mixed corn but that lasts a lot longer.

If you've been thinking about this for 10 years, go for it. Its the only way to get it out of your system.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hens - the pros and cons for a newbie! - by Veggie - 28-01-2021, 01:22 PM