Sweet peas
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
DT Brown have some sweet peas for £1 and 99p a packet. Some have 35 seeds and you get a free packet of carrot seeds with every order.
https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/s.nl?search=sweet+pea
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Farendwoman Offline
Credit where credit’s due.
Sowed a packet of Earl Grey sweet peas purchased from Dobies in September when they had an offer on. (89p per packet).
There were 34 seeds in the packet - and every single one has come up!
Compare this with a packet of Hi-Scent sweet peas from the supplier with the worst germination that we all know about! 6 sprouted out of 26!
Both lots had everything the same - same date of sowing, same compost, same watering, same greenhouse etc.
[-] The following 5 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I fancied trying the earl grey ones - but i dont have a great track record with sweet peas. I hate picking them amd i think my spot may be a bit sunny/dry. They often go over quite quickly.
I'm sowing mine this week. Ive chosen a spencer variety - but will also sow a few home saved ones. I tend to keep mine in the greenhouse but i have read recently that an autumn sowing will do better in a cold frame... I may try a little bit of both to compare.

I always presprout mine on kitchen towel in a plastic tub - due to mice issues
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(22-10-2022, 02:05 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I fancied trying the earl grey ones - but i dont have a great track record with sweet peas. I hate picking them amd i think my spot may be a bit sunny/dry. They often go over quite quickly.
I'm sowing mine this week. Ive chosen a spencer variety - but will also sow a few home saved ones.  I tend to keep mine in the greenhouse but i have read recently that an autumn sowing will do better in a cold frame... I may try a little bit of both to compare.

Same - presprout mine on kitchen roll. That’s how I know that all the Earl Grey sprouted - and most of the Hi-Scent rotted away!
mine go under old glazing panels for the winter.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
I just love picking sweet peas. So easy - don’t have to think what goes with what.just snip, snip, snip and tie em up !
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-10-2022, 02:38 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
(22-10-2022, 02:05 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I fancied trying the earl grey ones - but i dont have a great track record with sweet peas. I hate picking them amd i think my spot may be a bit sunny/dry. They often go over quite quickly.
I'm sowing mine this week. Ive chosen a spencer variety - but will also sow a few home saved ones.  I tend to keep mine in the greenhouse but i have read recently that an autumn sowing will do better in a cold frame... I may try a little bit of both to compare.

Same - presprout mine on kitchen roll. That’s how I know that all the Earl Grey sprouted - and most of the Hi-Scent rotted away!
Under glazing panels in pots or planted out? I have some glazing panels...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • JJB

Farendwoman Offline
(24-10-2022, 12:14 AM)Scarlet Wrote:
(22-10-2022, 02:38 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:

Under glazing panels in pots or planted out? I have some glazing panels...
In pots - three to each pot.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've some sweet peas in small pots (too small for their roots) they're being acclimatised to the outside. They are about 6 - 8" tall/long and a few have side shoots. Do I pinch out the leaders if they're to be grown up trellis on the outside of the gh?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I pinch out now I know about it.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

Farendwoman Offline
Yes definitely pinch out. Makes them bush out nicely so that each plant gas three or four nice long climbing stems.
Mine were all pinched and (with this bit of sun and warmth!) have started to cling on to the canes.