Bean Varieties
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Aquilon - Dwarf French Bean - for eating fresh

I don't grow many bush beans - I can't stand wasting space when the climbing once will grow up and give you treble the beans. But they are ok if you have some waiting in the wings to fill an odd space and they crop quickl, so I always try to grow some early ones undercover for an early crop while the tall ones are trying to climb the pole.

Black seeded variety, one of the longest bush beans I've ever grown. Really slim long pods - totally opposite to me Big Grin

First picking in the Greenhouse from an April sowing - 7th June. Pretty chuffed by with that.

[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Meuch - Climbing French Bean - for eating Fresh or shelled.

This is not as tall as  Weilander but also has around 6 or so beans to a pod, with slightly shorter pods. I've found very little info on this one but I've grown it a few time as it gives plenty of beans and usually dries well

Pretty green pods heavily mottled with dark purple almost black markings and fatter than the weilander as these beans are rounder? Weilander has a slimmer flatter bean with the more usual kidney bean shape.

[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Some of those are in your mystery seed packet aren’t they? They are what I’ve known as pea beans. I’m so pleased I know the proper name for them now, and very happy to have some seeds of them again. I’ll definitely be growing those. Thank you.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Mamzie, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-01-2021, 08:53 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Some of those are in your mystery seed packet aren’t they? They are what I’ve known as pea beans. I’m so pleased I know the proper name for them now, and very happy to have some seeds of them again. I’ll definitely be growing those. Thank you.
Yes, I grew about 4 varieties this year. The OH, pulled them all off the canes- there's a couple that look the same Sad ...but I thought you may want to grow them as when you see the pods and the beans fresh you wi eventually find out what they are. I couldn't be bothered try to sort them out Sad Sorry, I hate growing something without a name but I believe they are all worth a try.

The plain brown ones are either cosse violette , or Kew blue. I'll go up the shed tomorrow and check tags to see which ones are the black ones. Worth growing just to eat if nothing else?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sorry Scarlet another question are all the seeds in mystery mix for eating fresh & shelling ? Or are some of them eating fresh only?
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I keep lots for drying - I don't eat the tresnejavec fresh ever because the bean is fab dried so precious to me - the beans really swell at the end so worth waiting until dry/or eat the beans fresh from the pod
The plain beige seed will give black pods - I tend to eat those first? But the striped pods are pretty much dual purpose.

I had 3 jars full this year

[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you  Smile
They look very pretty.
Is that runner beans you got in there as well?
  • Mamzie, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes - I eat runners dried too. Beans and tomatoes are my favourite things to eat.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli

Broadway Online
Hi Scarlet

Do you have any experience with perennial beans? I was watching a video earlier today and madagascar beans were mentioned, 7 years old!?

Albeit the lady was in Australia.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(20-01-2021, 06:14 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Yes - I eat runners dried too. Beans and tomatoes are my favourite things to eat.
I didn’t know you could use them dried ! The amount I’ve chucked in the compost because the beans have got to big on the plant ( mostly the ones I can’t reach).  Couldn’t keep for seeds, as I usually grow more than one variety and they could be cross breed.
  • JJB, Mamzie