Potting Mix for cuttings
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I want to ramp up my dahlia growing.
I'm having a kitchen extension and a patio area - woohoo!!
The patio area has been dug and it looks like I will have the opportunity of either adding a couple of beds or at least making one that I have much bigger Smile

Anyway, back to the cutting mix -
When I've taken dahlia cuttings before - it's a bit hit and miss. I don't get consistent results. The stem can rot off - my mix is too heavy.

Many people use half and half -peat and sharp sand mix. 
I've just used MPC - sometimes with some grit. I've always just done the cuttings in mpc and been ok with the successes but I really want to get this right - I've only got 1 of each variety of some tubers so I don't want to lose those. 
Any recommendations of what to buy? I don't really want peat - I don't want to spend a fortune either. Can I use builders sand as opposed to sand from the GC?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Sorry to hijack your thread Scarlet and shoot off on a tangent(not like me!!) but................

I've just purchased these as part of my seed order.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dahlia-Cactus...2749.l2649

Have you ever grown them from seed with much success Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • mcdood

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-01-2021, 01:05 PM)Vinny Wrote: Sorry to hijack your thread Scarlet and shoot off on a tangent(not like me!!) but................

Well worth a shot! I haven't grown the cactus ones but I have done the "bishops children" they are singles and all have dark stems and leaves. I started in feb and then moved to the GH. Planted out in June, they all flowered in their first year and made really good sized tubers for the following year. 
This are some - they are fabulous.... but no guarantee what you get? I loved them all. 

I've also sown my own saved seed from the Honka varieties. These were also a great success.

This year I'm hoping to hand pollinate some fancier varieties  - I'm going to try bagging the flowers to be sure I know which are the parent plants? May be mad - but looking forward to it Smile

Some flowers from my "seedling" bed last year. They all made good sized tubers

[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Vinny

Spec Offline
(14-01-2021, 10:59 AM)Scarlet Wrote: I want to ramp up my dahlia growing.
Many people use half and half -peat and sharp sand mix. Any recommendations of what to buy? I don't really want peat - I don't want to spend a fortune either. Can I use builders sand as opposed to sand from the GC?
Yes Scarlet builders sand can be used but make sure that it's washed concrete sand, if you have three or four cuttings from one tuber I would suggest you try one of the cuttings in straight sand, as for the compost normally I would say use any compost but my recent experience with an average compost was bad, so go for a good quality peat free and mix 50, 50,
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Scarlet, Vinny

mcdood Offline
(14-01-2021, 10:59 AM)Scarlet Wrote: I want to ramp up my dahlia growing.
I'm having a kitchen extension and a patio area - woohoo!!
The patio area has been dug and it looks like I will have the opportunity of either adding a couple of beds or at least making one that I have much bigger Smile

When I've taken dahlia cuttings before - it's a bit hit and miss. I don't get consistent results. The stem can rot off - my mix is too heavy.

Many people use half and half -peat and sharp sand mix. 
I've just used MPC - sometimes with some grit. I've always just done the cuttings in mpc and been ok with the successes but I really want to get this right - I've only got 1 of each variety of some tubers so I don't want to lose those. 
Any recommendations of what to buy? I don't really want peat - I don't want to spend a fortune either. Can I use builders sand as opposed to sand from the GC?
Sharp sand is better imv as it is coarser than builders sand which can be claggy. I'd stick with the mpc and grit personally, maybe try more grit in the mix. The tubers should produce plenty of material for cuttings though. Are you just laying the tubers in a layer of compost as opposed to burying them, that way you see the cuttings easier and produce more cutting material. How are you covering the cuttings, in a propagator or plastic bag, maybe they're getting too humid and you need to let a bit of fresh air in each day.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Scarlet, Vinny

mcdood Offline
(14-01-2021, 01:05 PM)Vinny Wrote: Sorry to hijack your thread Scarlet and shoot off on a tangent(not like me!!) but................

I've tried Bishop's Children, Pompom mix, Redskins, all produce nice flowers and some worthy of keeping tubers for the following year.  Not the greatest picture but this was a bed of Redskins at the front and Pompoms at the back. They were hit really hard by the late frost we had last spring to the point where they blackened and I thought most would die but they all managed to pull through

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(14-01-2021, 09:23 PM)Scarlet Wrote:

Well worth a shot! I haven't grown the cactus ones but I have done the "bishops children" they are singles and all have dark stems and leaves. I started in feb and then moved to the GH. Planted out in June, they all flowered in their first year and made really good sized tubers for the following year. 
This are some - they are fabulous.... but no guarantee what you get? I loved them all. 

I've also sown my own saved seed from the Honka varieties. These were also a great success.

This year I'm hoping to hand pollinate some fancier varieties  - I'm going to try bagging the flowers to be sure I know which are the parent plants? May be mad - but looking forward to it Smile

Some flowers from my "seedling" bed last year. They all made good sized tubers
I remember when 'Bishop of Llandaff' was first introduced with its striking black foliage and red flowers. I had some plants at the time in my borders.

I imagine the Bishops Children are its progeny?

I have to confess that I prefer chrysanthemums (mainly for there longevity when cut) and I may see if I can find any that I can grow from seed as I lost my plants last year and they are really expensive to buy as plantlets.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well just a little update - I didn't bother buying anything, it's tricky getting "bulk" deliveries when you only want a small bag?
So I have a large bag of by perlite. I've mixed half and half. Taken just 3 cuttings.

Next trial is going to be a sand and compost mix....the builder has a ton bag of sand in the yard. Do I need to wash it?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've always understood that builder's sand is unsuitable for horticultural use, maybe because it could be salty, but have no experience. I think I'd wash to be on the safe side.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Last year, when I was trying to make my own seed compost using coir, vermiculite and builder's sand, it wasn't a success. Seed germination was poor and I can only blame it on the sand as I've used the coir & vermiculite before. I didn't wash the sand so don't know whether that would make a difference?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny