Aubergines 2021
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I love cooking, eating and growing aubergines and know I'm lucky to be able to grow them outoors. I seem to grow a few more plants each year!

On the list this year - 

Italian Long Purple
Rotunda Bianca Sfumata di Rosa
Violettea di Firenze
Thai Green pea - didn't get a harvest last year as they took over two months to germinate, but have over-wintered three plants.
Tsakoniki
Turkish Orange
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(13-01-2021, 05:01 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I love cooking, eating and growing aubergines and know I'm lucky to be able to grow them outoors. I seem to grow a few more plants each year!

On the list this year - 

Italian Long Purple
Rotunda Bianca Sfumata di Rosa
Violettea di Firenze
Thai Green pea - didn't get a harvest last year as they took over two months to germinate, but have over-wintered three plants.
Tsakoniki
Turkish Orange
Same q as the tomato one how many would you grow and are they all for your own use?
Regards..........Danny Smile

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Hi Danny - I'll have six plants of each for myself and then give away the extras (I sow 2-3 per module but then don't have the heart to compost the thinnings ...). That should give us aubs to eat a couple of times a week from August until the first frost, some moussaka for the freezer plus enough to make four or five jars of aubergine pickle.

And I've just found some Blanche Ronde à Œuf seeds that I quite fancy ...

Broadway Offline
(13-01-2021, 05:46 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Hi Danny - I'll have six plants of each for myself and then give away the extras (I sow 2-3 per module but then don't have the heart to compost the thinnings ...). That should give us aubs to eat a couple of times a week from August until the first frost, some moussaka for the freezer plus enough to make four or five jars of aubergine pickle.

And I've just found some Blanche Ronde à Œuf seeds that I quite fancy ...
Wow just took my socks off to help counting so 36 plants ish! How many fruits would you average per plant or would it vary depending on the variety?

Also can't end the reply without saying moussaka, one of my top 3 dishesSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Scarlet

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
It entirely depends on the variety - the Turkish orange is early into production, perhaps because the fruit are small, size of a satsuma, but it will keep on going. It is an old school variety, incredibly bitter if not ripe.
Violetta is probably the next best.
To be honest I've never added it up, but I will this year and report back Smile

I make both a classic and veggie moussaka, but it is mostly lots of different curries Smile

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Mamzie, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm going to try Kermit https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_181..._f1_hybrid
Last year's mixed plants were pretty but I didn't eat any!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I wasn’t growing any aubergine this year. Until 10 minutes ago  Wink . I’m also going to be growing Kermit    Cool
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Kermit looks gorgeous!

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Maybe its a welsh thing - I was so chuffed and amazed by our first ever aubergine plants last year, Black Beauty, I never realised how thorny they were or how beautiful. However like Veggie I also didn't actually eat any.
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've sown black beauty and long purple. Only black beauty has popped as yet. Hope to have a bit of success this year where I have failed in the past. I love eating aubs, even just micro'd and scooping out the flesh for seasoning.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Veggie