Lidded casserole recipes?
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all,

I'm wondering if you have any recipes that benefit from/require a lidded casserole?

Thanks for your thoughts Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a couple of Le Creuset enamelled cast iron lidded casseroles that I use on the hob and in the oven. Great for slow cooking as the lid is a good seal.
Don't really use recipes - sorry.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I would think any recipes for a slow cooker would suit a lidded casserole. Red cooked chicken is one I like. Ask SC she loves stew!Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I make a mean Irish stew with lamb, a beef stew, a lamb massaman curry, in my slow cooker which is the same as a lidded casserole, I also do a slow cooked beef curry Indian style. I can email you recipes they are not exact just guidelines Wink
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • doublyjonah, JJB, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
Ideas for the types of things that are well suited are also appreciated! All recipes welcome, Can! I make some things in my slow cooker that benefit from browning the meat first, so those seem especially well suited.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I like lamb shoulder and dried beans!

Shoulder off lamb/or whatever.
Dried beans soaked - as many as you want - these are used as the veg. So you need a fair amount. You could sub with a few tins of white beans.
A little stock A ton don't want stacks of liquid.
Rosemary
Head of garlic
Tin of anchovies- I like the salty flavour
Couple of onions
chopped carrots
Couple of celery sticks
Bay leaves
Half a bottle of white wine.
Fry the lamb in a pan to seal, fry the veg in the fat in the pan. Chuck the lot in for as many hours as you want. Usually about 5 for me.
I often cook this for friends. The shoulder looks amazing when it comes out of the oven and falls apart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

doublyjonah Offline
(09-01-2021, 03:23 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I like lamb shoulder and dried beans!

Shoulder off lamb/or whatever.
Dried beans soaked - as many as you want - these are used as the veg. So you need a fair amount. You could sub with a few tins of white beans.
A little stock A ton don't want stacks of liquid.
Rosemary
Head of garlic
Tin of anchovies- I like the salty flavour
Couple of onions
chopped carrots
Couple of celery sticks
Bay leaves
Half a bottle of white wine.
Fry the lamb in a pan to seal, fry the veg in the fat in the pan. Chuck the lot in for as many hours as you want. Usually about 5 for me.
I often cook this for friends. The shoulder looks amazing when it comes out of the oven and falls apart.
This sounds delicious. We'll give this a try soon.
Also have my eyes on the red cooked chicken and Can's hopefully forthcoming recipes Smile we'll be eating well indeed
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
My mothers Irish stew

Depending on number of people, but usually allow 2 gigot lamb chops (bone in) per person or my preference is for diced lamb pieces and throw a few bones in for flavour.
Onions, chopped carrots, chopped celery (which I hate the texture  but use for flavour so I leave it in long pieces to be removed later), 1 or 2 tablespoon of pearl barley, tablespoon of split red lentils, bouquet garni, and lamb stock (cube in pint of water if you don’t have any premodern) You can put in a potato or 2 quartered which will break down and thicken the soup or mix up a small bit of cornflour in cold water to thicken I prefer the spuds. Ground black pepper and sea salt.

Brown off meat and bones in the pan, if the chops have fat on them use this to render for the fry off fat. Add to slow cooker or casserole dish

Chop onions , carrots and celery and fry off in residual fat from the meat. Add to slow cooker,
Add barley and lentils to slow cooker, add bouquet garni, heat lamb stock and add to slow cooker, add potato quarters , grind black pepper and sea salt stir well put lid on and cook on high for one hour then on low for 3-4 hours. Stir occasionally.

When cooked if you have used the potatoes and they have broken down the soup should be thicken, if not make up some cornflour with cold water then add to the stew turn heat up and stir to thicken takes a few minutes. Serve in a bowl with additional potatoes and a nice piece of crusty bread. Sprinkle with fresh parsley b fore serving.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • doublyjonah, Scarlet

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I will follow with other recipes later
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • doublyjonah, Scarlet

doublyjonah Offline
Thanks so much! I'm now quietly moping that I didn't think to ask until after our shopping trip :p
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie