Pea beans
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Does anything here grow Pea beans? No, its not a typo, they seem to be another sort of climbing bean with a 2 colour shell.
I've been given 6 "Jack Edwards" pea beans https://hsl.gardenorganic.org.uk/seedlis...ck-edwards. Pretty aren't they? 
I've seen similar ones, black and white ones like little whales but not eaten/grown them.

Any advice anyone - especially whether they cross pollinate and need isolation for seed saving.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They are pretty. I used to grow pea beans. I got the seeds from Bob’s dad after he’d passed away. I just kept saving seeds from them year after year, because that’s what he’d done. The seed looked more like small runner beans. The beans themselves were green mottled with purple and short, fat runner beans shape. Smoother than the funny texture runners have. Again following what Bobs dad used to do because I didn’t know any better. We treated them & ate them like runner beans. The plant themselves were a bit of a cross between a runner & climbing french.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I grew them last year for the first time and they're great! Number one bonus is the bean beetle doesn't attack them (or hasn't yet) so I can actually dry some beans again for winter use.

No idea about crossing or the like Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

mcdood Offline
I grew these last year, kindly given to me by NG as Inca Pea Bean. I had them next to runners and also pretty close to other french beans and no crossing that I could see. Decent sized crop, grew to about 5 feet, tasted good as beans, I didn't harvest any as pods. Forms an interesting dried pod as each bean bulges out.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Inca pea bean!! That sounds familiar. Time to have a rummage in my pea bucket. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Pee bucket?? A guzunder? How unsanitary. Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • mcdood, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-01-2021, 12:13 PM)Veggie Wrote: Inca pea bean!! That sounds familiar. Time to have a rummage in my pea bucket. Wink
Like you need an excuse to rummage through seed collections  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Veggie

mcdood Offline
(09-01-2021, 12:21 PM)JJB Wrote: Pee bucket??  A guzunder?  How unsanitary.  Big Grin

(09-01-2021, 12:22 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 12:13 PM)Veggie Wrote: Inca pea bean!! That sounds familiar. Time to have a rummage in my pea bucket. Wink
Like you need an excuse to rummage through seed collections  Big Grin
 Like she's organised enough to know where the pea bucket is Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like mcdood's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sorry I’m going to have to jump to veggies defence here. Her gardening style may be chaos personified  Big Grin . When it comes to seeds they all have there places and that place is organised to within an inch of its life. But no doubt with a certain veggie flare    Cool .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • mcdood, Veggie

mcdood Offline
(09-01-2021, 12:39 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Sorry I’m going to have to jump to veggies defence here. Her gardening style may be chaos personified  Big Grin . When it comes to seeds they all have there places and that place is organised to within an inch of its life. But no doubt with a certain veggie flare    Cool .
Fair point SC I may have confused planting chaos with seed storage excellence but it's been 33 minutes since she went to find the bucket, I rest my case your honour Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie