I wasn’t expecting that
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
After removing all my cut down chillies Mrs blackbird appeared. I assumed she was looking for bug & worms in the pile of rubbish left behind. How wrong was I !

If you’re not sure what you’re looking at , because photos are a bit cr@p.  The female blackbird is eating chillies!
Thai dragon to be precise! 

I heard birds don’t have some gland thingy so the heat doesn’t affect them, but I’ve never witnessed it before.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Didn't know that so had a google and there's lots of stuff about birds eating chillies - even spreading the seeds of wild chillies so maybe you'll have some Thai Dragons growing wild.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Only if the spread the seeds in one of the other tunnels  Big Grin .
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
They'll be Chilis popping up all over Mull Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I bought suet pellets previously for the birds and it had been impregnated with chilli to stop the squirrels eating the bird seed. I mixed it with other foods I have for the birds and they demolished it. So I think it’s right the birds don’t have the taste glands to taste the chilli.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
SC a question for you please, what do you do with your old chilli plants ?, I stripped the final fruit off mine about 11/2 weeks ago, I then pulled up the plants and broke them down and put in the compost bin. I was surprised how woody the branches were when I broke them down. The root balls on some of 5nem were still quiet strong so I was wondering if perhaps I should have wrapped them up in fleece and left them in the raised bed, would they grow back next year ?
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(05-01-2021, 07:22 PM)Can the Man Wrote: SC a question for you please, what do you do with your old chilli plants ?, I stripped the final fruit off mine about 11/2 weeks ago, I then pulled up the plants and broke them down and put in the compost bin. I was surprised how woody the branches were when I broke them down. The root balls on some of 5nem were still quiet strong so I was wondering if perhaps I should have wrapped them up in fleece and left them in the raised bed, would they grow back next year ?
I cut the plant down to just above ground level then they go through the shredder and into the compost bin. I knock as much compost off the root balls as I can, then they go in the compost as well. 
Very unlikely they would survive just wrapping in fleece. In the tunnel. Only going to happen if you have a very mild winter. I very half heartedly try over wintering in the tunnel sometimes, I’ve only been successful once. They really need to be in the house with a constant temp of 10 degrees minimum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(05-01-2021, 08:06 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 07:22 PM)Can the Man Wrote: SC a question for you please, what do you do with your old chilli plants ?, I stripped the final fruit off mine about 11/2 weeks ago, I then pulled up the plants and broke them down and put in the compost bin. I was surprised how woody the branches were when I broke them down. The root balls on some of 5nem were still quiet strong so I was wondering if perhaps I should have wrapped them up in fleece and left them in the raised bed, would they grow back next year ?
I cut the plant down to just above ground level then they go through the shredder and into the compost bin. I knock as much compost off the root balls as I can, then they go in the compost as well. 
Very unlikely they would survive just wrapping in fleece. In the tunnel. Only going to happen if you have a very mild winter. I very half heartedly try over wintering in the tunnel sometimes, I’ve only been successful once. They really need to be in the house with a constant temp of 10 degrees minimum.
Thanks SC, that confirms it for me, not going to waste my time trying to overwinter in the future. New plants every year then.
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I wonder if the blackbird will suffer in the morning like we do after a hot curry Smile
? Jet propelled blackbirds
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(05-01-2021, 11:29 PM)JJB Wrote: I wonder if the blackbird will suffer in the morning like we do after a hot curry Smile
? Jet propelled blackbirds
Oh yea

• JJB