2021 - What I did today
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
#1,571
A whole day of annual leave today (my first since July). Spent a happy 2.5 hours in the garden this morning. Very chilly (2 degrees C) so I mostly focused on heavier tasks to keep me warm. I've cut down lots of ivy that has been invading the garage roof, obstructing the gutters, and making the back wall very damp. It's growing through and out of the garden retaining wall, so I can't dig the roots up. It's going to be an absolute pain to get rid of completely.

I've also cleared some rubbish, cut down a bramble by the shed, had a chat with a neighbour over the garden fence, and started soaking some rusty old tools in vinegar. I had a test scrub after a couple of hours, but I think they definitely need to soak for at least 24 hours. I've brought the soaking bucket into the porch so I can tackle them when I get home from work tomorrow evening without having to trek all the way up the garden. I've also found a wire brush in the garage and think that will be much better for scrubbing the tools than the scourer I was using.

I even sat outside for a bit eating some soup, but it started with some horrid spitting freezing cold rain this afternoon and I drew the line at that! I'm going to have a nice warm afternoon now. I might even have a little nap...
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Jay, JJB, Small chilli

Bren Offline
#1,572
(22-12-2021, 11:43 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(22-12-2021, 11:17 AM)JJB Wrote: Have a lovely time Danny, it's great to have the family together this year.
Cheers Jen

Will be the first time with my Mum in four years (combination of covid and moving), prior to that ever Christmas since I was bornSmile
Have a great time with your family Danny xx
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Jay

Broadway Offline
#1,573
(22-12-2021, 06:20 PM)Bren Wrote:
(22-12-2021, 11:43 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(22-12-2021, 11:17 AM)JJB Wrote: Have a lovely time Danny, it's great to have the family together this year.
Cheers Jen

Will be the first time with my Mum in four years (combination of covid and moving), prior to that ever Christmas since I was bornSmile
Have a great time with your family Danny xx
Thank you Bren I will be doing my best Keith Floyd impressionSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Jay, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,574
Is he the one with Orville the Duck? Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB

Broadway Offline
#1,575
(22-12-2021, 06:41 PM)Veggie Wrote: Is he the one with Orville the Duck? Big Grin
No! It will be the odd tipple whilst hopefully! delivering a nice meal to the family that put up with meSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Jay, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,576
I'm spending my spare time sorting seeds - especially flower seeds - of which I have many!! They're already sorted alphabetically (all As in one bag etc) but I'm splitting them into month of sowing. My current plan (as of 2 days ago) is sow some flowers every week. Wk 1 A-F, Wk2 G-L, Wk3 M-R, Wk 4 S-Z.
Of course, I'm unlikely to stick to this plan but it gives me an excuse to play with seed packets on these long dark nights.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,577
A bit of a sadness today, not for me but for the elderlies nextdoor. I did a bit of shopping for them yesterday and on the way out they asked me to keep an eye out for their very elderly black cat (the one that gave us fleas!) who hadn't been in for tea. He's an ex feral that enjoys the outdoors as much as he enjoys their laps and cuddles, so I cast my eye round the back garden generally, knowing he could be holed up anywhere in a cosy spot but didn't see him anywhere. Twenty minutes after I got home the phone rang, it was nextdoor saying he could see the cat lying on the back grass unable to get up could I help. The cat was in a bad way, uninjured but definitely poorly, unconscious and twitching. I brought him into the warm and prepared his mum and dad for the worst. The vet came and relieved his suffering. They will both find it very difficult without the cat, they were a truly symbiotic pairing. An unfortunate bit of sadness for them at this time of year when they have nobody to visit either.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,578
I can’t like that JJB. Very sad for your neighbours.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,579
I "liked" JJB for helping the poor old cat and her neighbours.
Old cats often take themselves away from home to end their days. RIP Puss.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,580
Even sadder, thy never gave him a name! Poor puss. The upside for us is I might not have to barricade the flower beds with brambles to stop them being a cat toilet. Sad but true.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie