Photo journal of the jonah plot
doublyjonah Offline
Thanks, everyone. You are so encouraging, as always.

Now that we're in to the proper growing season, it's a good feeling to pull out bits of bindweed but not be overwhelmed by weeds from all angles. They'll get more prominent as the season progresses, I know, but the no-dig approach has given a bit of a reprieve. Yes, it has been expensive and, yes, it has been a lot of barrowing. It was time for a big change on the plot, though, so it feels like the right move. I tried to put a bamboo cane into a bit of ground that hadn't been covered with compost...fat chance! The moisture-retaining mulch aspect is also extremely helpful on our heavy, former riverbed, clay-rich soil. Don't get me wrong - I hope to never buy this much compost in one go again! Now that my husband has vanquished his holly nemesis, I'm hoping we'll get the big (huge!) black barrel (now sawn in half) drilled and set up as a couple of compost bins to go alongside the dalek.

Two of the recent projects have been mulching around my small apple (a Veggie-inspired bargain purchase from a few years ago!) to create a somewhat less congested and overrun bed, and creating a brand new bed that was covered with junk until now.

Around small apple

New area

Side by side shot

Some of the paving slabs that are materializing out of the area that was previously covered in weeds/mess/old shed

We've also been reducing the size of the mound where the big apple tree grows. It's a bindweed and blackberry haven, and we're not sure how much we can get move before the big apple roots start to suffer.

Photo of the mound from the main path of the site

From the plot side

It's 2 to 3 feet tall and at least as wide. I have dug more than a dozen pavers and a similar number of bricks from the area.
[-] The following 6 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Admin, Bren, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
Here is a series of shots of the plot throughout May. You can see poppies appearing in the mid ground as time goes on.

Here are a couple of shots from the back of the plot.

And, finally, a big ridiculous poppy. These were autumn-sown in the GH a few years ago and transplanted the following spring. They've been going strong ever since.

[-] The following 7 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Bren, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
I was ran out of things to plant before the little one woke from her allotment nap, so I made a video walk-through of the plot. Why not?!

https://youtu.be/vvPAJ0oU1-Q
[-] The following 5 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Love it, dj. So nice to put a voice to a name too. I feel that we've met now. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah, Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
What will be easier to imagine as you read posts, my accent or Vinny's? Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Yours is much easier on the ear than Vinny's. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Lovely plot and lovely accent DJ
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • doublyjonah, Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
I took a walk through the plot to take photos today. Starting at my usual spot at the top, then walking and scanning left (poppies and veggie mesh) and then right (fruit cage).

Left

Right

Left

Right

Across the back

[-] The following 8 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, MartinH, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
I've been enjoying my visits to the plot. There are weeds, as usual, and the pigeons or something else finally obliterated the mangetout...but, in general, it's been so pleasant to turn up to the plot and see the progress.

The overview

Some of the lovely bits and pieces ready now and soon

We've finally been getting rain occasionally, just enough to make things perk up and take off. I've been happy with the weed suppression and water retention effects of the compost mulch. The corn and pumpkin area is where we put the cow muck and covered with the finished compost. I'm looking forward to gladioli and dahlias and rudbeckia and echinacea...and, well, more flowers on top of the veggies and fruits.

I recently bought a compost thermometer, which tells me my heap is in the mid 20s. I hope to fill it up in the next month or so, then turn it and let it cook. I think that might heat it up a bit as well.
[-] The following 5 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
Here are a few photos of the plot. Tour of the plot from the bottom toward the top. Standard shot from the top of the plot plus loads of flowers, my future world's most giant pumpkin, and my harvest today (spread over two posts).

[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • MartinH, Veggie