Photo journal of the jonah plot
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
All looks fabulous! I really need some compost but the cost and the thought of wheelbarrowing it has really put me off!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • doublyjonah

doublyjonah Offline
(26-04-2023, 09:34 PM)Scarlet Wrote: All looks fabulous! I really need some compost but the cost and the thought of wheelbarrowing it has really put me off!
Thanks, Scarlet! I'm feeling so excited about the plot at the moment.

We have been so cheap with the allotment in general, but finally investing a bit with the shed and now the compost. It's hard to swallow the cost, but I'm trying to tell myself I'll be in great health by the time we barrow the next lot of compost Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-04-2023, 10:26 PM)doublyjonah Wrote:
(26-04-2023, 09:34 PM)Scarlet Wrote: All looks fabulous! I really need some compost but the cost and the thought of wheelbarrowing it has really put me off!
Thanks, Scarlet! I'm feeling so excited about the plot at the moment.

We have been so cheap with the allotment in general, but finally investing a bit with the shed and now the compost. It's hard to swallow the cost, but I'm trying to tell myself I'll be in great health by the time we barrow the next lot of compost Rolleyes
It will be worth it! If I was 20years younger I would not dither Big Grin
I have had loads of alpaca poo over the years  - make a huge difference but I have to shovel it in the car and takes me so much time it seemed quicker to dig it well. I use blood fish and bone/and a small handful of chicken manure pellets now when I dig in each dahlia.last year I collected a boot load of well rotted horse stuff - OH helped but but it didn't go very far.

looking forward to more pics when things start to grow!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • doublyjonah, JJB, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
We've been hard at work the last couple weeks. A new full-width bed, using a lot of previously neglected ground.

Here's the shed with its guttering and rain barrel set up. We've had plenty of rain since then Rolleyes so it's getting full. We have another water butt and a blue barrel that will hopefully be linked to the first.

Here's the usual angle, plus a view slightly to the side and from the back of the plot. You can see the pavers I've liberated from the old shed set up.

Still a bit of compost to go!

[-] The following 9 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Broadway, JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
And a couple of flowery shots Smile

[-] The following 7 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Admin, Bren, JJB, MartinH, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Looking great, DJ, Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah

doublyjonah Offline
(09-05-2023, 08:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: Looking great, DJ, Big Grin
Thanks, Veggie. I'm still very excited about the progress. Now to actually grow something that the birds don't eat!

I'm trying your Hunter CFB this year. I mostly grew shelling beans and beans for seed saving last year, so I'm looking forward to them.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You've done so much this year! Hope you get bucket loads of Hunter beans (and everything else) as a reward.Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah

Bren Offline
DJ you've done lots since the last photos Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • doublyjonah, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You'll get a great deal of satisfaction looking at the progress you've made this year, it's really a transformation.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, doublyjonah, Veggie