Seed Catalogues
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The 2021 Seed and Plant Catalogues have started tumbling through the door. 

Let's review them - their appearance, quality, offers and suitability for recycling.Smile
Anything taken your fancy yet?

I had Chiltern Seeds before Christmas - one of my favourites. Lots of words, few pictures, some humour and you learn Latin. A Keeper. Smile

T&M arrived yesterday - 3 catalogues, probably a lot of duplication. Haven't opened them - not tempted. Probably be in recycling next week.

Marshalls (?and Unwins) came today. Really attractive paper envelope covered with illustrations of flowers and veg. Would make great recycled seed envelopes. Who could resist their "Little Book of Seeds 2021"?
Well illustrated and general advice on where to sow/plant/harvest. Useful.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had my chiltern catalogue before Christmas as well.
One of my favourite companies, but least favourite catalogue. Being dyslexic I find a visual aide very helpful. Also rubbish for making seed envelopes.
Not had any others through the door yet. I’ll pay more attention to them when they turn up. So I can join in this thread. I’ve been putting them straight into the recycling (or turning into envelopes) lately because I’ve ordered all the seeds I’m going to already and I don’t want tempting.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I don't bother with seed catalogues any more and wonder whether the savings made by ditching them could make the seeds a bit cheaper?

Luckily since I moved home I don't get them through the door anymore and a few more trees will be saved. Big Grin

All the catalogues are online anyway and most people shop for seeds that way methinks?

Apologies if you disagree! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't disagree at all, Vinny. Smile
Real Seeds don't have a seed catalogue, neither do any of the other smaller seed suppliers that I buy from. Franchi has a good website but I enjoy Chiltern Seeds catalogue - its the one I wouldn't want to be without!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I use the seed catalogues to look at the pictures then source the seeds i like cheaper elsewhere, or more often than not talk myself out of buying them completely. Got Dobies today. I like the fact they use paper envelopes instead of plastic, one of my garden mags does too, shame the other won't follow suit.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
I got Dobies in on Tuesday and D. T. Brown's in this morning, quick flick through DTBs shows a 8 bed planner and a sowing and harvesting record and a 4 season weekly diary, looks very good but not really had time to study it as I have been busy then needed to inspect the inside of my eye lidsBig Grin
Also like the way they give a bit of plant history and growing guide
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Got Mr Fothergill’s today.
It’s like a telephone directory - massive! Hi
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mr F's and DTBrown's came today.
I have a weakness for DTB's as, unlike all the rest, its printed on non-shiny paper so you can add it to the compost.
The Sowing Calendar/Diary/Plot plan is a nice innovation. May see if I can remove those pages and file them somewhere handy!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't buy many seeds - the ones I do are pretty much all from Chilterns, so I get their catalogue.

I tend to agree with Vinny on that they are a waste but I really love to get off the screen and read a paper variety. So Chilterns would be my go to and then I used my phone to google photos if I fancy the sound of it.

I bought a pack of discount tubers from Sarah Raven one year and I have been hammered with pamphlets and duplication catalogues ever since but they are a good read. Just one for the next 5 years would be fine rather than 45 for the year would do though.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I got my first ever DT Brown catalogue. Don’t know if it’s a full version because it came with a magazine. But I like it. None shiny paper is very appealing. I like the layout. And currently has some very tempting deals. I must resist. You don’t need seeds you’re building a house!.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie