What should I do with hawthorn
Spec Offline
Thumbs Down 
Today I have cut down quite a bit of hawthorn and now wondering what I should do with it, should I cut it down a bit more and put it into a recycling bin, doing that it will take about 6 weeks to get rid of it as it is only collected every 2 weeks, should I  put it through a shredder and compost it or use as mulch or should I burn it and use the ash in the garden
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Personally I’d shred it and compost or mulch.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Spec Offline
I wonder if hot composting breaks down the thorns, which of course is one of the problems of putting it in the compost heap
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I usually leave hawthorn to grow - as food for the bees and berries for the birds.
Its too painful to handle unnecessarily. Otherwise I burn it as the thorns as so sharp they've punctured wheelbarrow tyres and penetrated the soles of my shoes. I don[t leave it lying around the garden in case the dogs step on it.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I agree if you have to cut it I would burn it if you can’t properly shred it and still not have thorns.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Spec

Spec Offline
(16-12-2020, 12:50 AM)Veggie Wrote: I usually leave hawthorn to grow - as food for the bees and berries for the birds.
So do I but what I cut down was overhanging the patio and becoming a bit of a risk of hitting someone in the face, the hedge along the back contains hawthorn along Ash, birch, elder and cherry
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Torch the sucker! Big Grin Hawthorn is a dense hard wood and thicker stems burn hot in a woodburner.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Spec, Veggie