What veg. do you miss eating
Spec Offline
I was going through some threads when I came across something that triggered a memory and made me wonder what other foods or ways of cooking do folks miss from the past, when I was younger, (which I suppose isn't that long ago Rolleyes)  I worked at the furnaces in the local steelworks, one of the delicasies that we had was baked onion, the onion was coated in clay with just the bit of stem showing to let any steam out, this was then placed on a ledge next to the furnace and left to cook, when you were ready for your piece,(your break) getting that onion with a slice of thickly buttered bread was something special, I have tried baking onions in the microwave and covered with foil and cooked in the oven but nothing comes near one baked in clay, what do you miss nowadays?
[-] The following 9 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Greenfingers, JJB, Mamzie, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
In my apple picking days in the Tasmanian Orchards, we'd start picking at the crack of dawn and it could be cold, very cold. You couldn't pick until the frost had thawed on the fruit and you couldn't pick wearing gloves as you needed to be gentle with the fruit so that it didn't bruise. We'd light little twig fires and huddle around them to thaw our frozen fingers - but the real secret was to impale an apple on a stick and toast it on the fire. It warmed your hands and your insides as you ate your hot cooked apple. Smile

A bit like your baked onion, Spec. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 8 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Greenfingers, JJB, Mamzie, Proserpina, Small chilli, Spec

Spec Offline
Ah Veggie that reminds me of throwing a tattie into a camp fire we would have down by the burn(river) side, freshly dug from farmers field (always with the farmers permission children Rolleyes) then needing a long stick to wheech it out of the fire and burning your fingertips trying to hold it so that you could eat it, it took me a wee while to work out how my mother always new we had been eating roast tatties, then I started washing my face and hands in the burn to get rid of the char
[-] The following 8 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Greenfingers, JJB, Mamzie, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Not veg, but my Dad used put slices of white bread on the end of the fork used for carving and held in front of the fire to toast, then have with lashings of salty butter and home made damson jam.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 8 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, Greenfingers, JJB, Mamzie, Proserpina, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Aahhhhh, Toast made with thick slices, cut from a loaf, slightly unevenly, pushed onto a wire toasting fork, and held in front of the coal fire (our only source of heat), then spread with real Welsh salted butter, that oozed from the toast onto your fingers. Real Toast!!

There's a book called "Toast" by Nigel Slater in which he tells of his childhood memories, all triggered by food, including, of course. Toast, I read it years ago and enjoyed it.
[-] The following 7 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Greenfingers, JJB, Mamzie, Proserpina, Spec

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Bread and dripping. The dripping from Sunday's roast beef on either fresh home made white bread or toast with a sprinkle of salt.
Grilled lamb's kidneys for breakfast, the kidneys with their surround of fat. Sorry to those who are squeamish.
Whitebait fritters from our stay in NZ also their awesome meat pies, oh yes hokey pokey ice cream too.
All my memories are hugely unhealthy and not veg at all.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 7 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Greenfingers, Mamzie, Proserpina, Spec, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Does anybody remember Angel Delight and Instant Whip, these were my brothers and mine favourite deserts especially butterscotch flavour. There was also Dream Topping a real false cream which my mam put on apple tart.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 7 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, Greenfingers, JJB, Mamzie, Proserpina, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think Angel Delight and Instant whip are still around, if you want a trip down memory lane!
[-] The following 7 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Greenfingers, JJB, Mamzie, Proserpina, Spec

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Butterscotch angel delight is still in my store cupboard as a treat occasionally for P, if he's been good. Smile ..... or if perhaps I've forgotten to make a desert, it's either that or banana custard.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 7 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Greenfingers, Mamzie, Proserpina, Spec, Veggie

Greenfingers Offline
As a small child I remember going to Scarborough with my grandad a few times. He used to park his Wolseley car on the Marine drive next to the sea and get out his primus stove. The smell of frying onions and tomato sausage was amazing in the salt air......and as for the taste. I cannot recreate it.
Also homegrown (by him) tomato (and sand) sandwiches with a sprinkle of salt. I think the sand added a certain 'je ne sais quoi'
[-] The following 5 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Proserpina, Spec, Veggie