Invasive garden plants
Spec Offline
Exclamation 
    The boss has threads about annual and perennial weeds but I would like to see a list of plants to avoid, the thing that has given me the biggest problem over the past two years is an invasive flowering plant, considered by many, myself included till last year as a nice plant to have in the garden, its one that now to me is well named, crocosmia Lucifer, a tall plant with upward facing red flowers, last year it became a bit of a problem so I thinned it out or so I thought,this year it completely swamped my flower beds     the photo shows one of the areas where I had left it but unfortunately it got too vigorous and was smothering all the other flowers so it had to come out I finished up digging out three recycle bins full of it and having a look round the garden today I have more digging out to do      there is also a couple of clumps of monbretia which are absolutely solid so they are coming out as well w and the bulbs on show came from underneath an apple tree I removed yesterday  is there any plants you would advise not to plant
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've spent most of today digging up Montbretia so, for once Spec, we're in agreement!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli, Spec

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I second that, crocosmia, grape hyacinths, and Spanish bluebells are all on my 'to die' list. A close second this year is Canterbury bells ( I think) they have expanded and self seeded everywhere.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ll add periwinkle & Michaelmas daisy to that list.

I’ve not got any of that Montbretia in the garden, but it grows wild in lots of places.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I agree with Vinca/periwinkle and I'll raise you Red Campion - the wild one - that spreads everywhere.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Bren Offline
Mine are grape hyacinths, Lady's mantle, Forget-me-nots and violas. Especially the violas it pops up in all my veg beds Sad
Oddly I don't mind the Teasels and Honesty.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Spec, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Japanese Anemone. Spreads vigorously via underground runners and pops up everywhere.

Herb Robert self seeds like mad, but it's not that much of annoyance and it's easy to pull up. I absolutely hate the smell of it though.

Concur with forget-me-nots, Spanish bluebells and crocasmia/monbretia.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
With you on the herb Robert. Very unpleasant aroma! Luckily don’t get much of that up here.
I’ll add feverfew to the list of pops up unannounced and more importantly uninvited. Also stinks, I really hate the smell of that as well.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
I feel bad listing anything as invasive - I just like that I can leave them to it and have no quarms about hacking them back as I know I won't kill them. Yay plants I can't kill and don't need fussing.

However, toadflax, valerian, buddleia and tree mallow also fit into the above mentioned plants
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 3 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Rather than starting a new thread, I'm resurrecting this one!
I've been looking at plants I'd like to grow but several are said to be invasive/active spreaders. Lots of the plants named on this thread are actually quite nice in small doses, even Montbretia and Vinca. I'm trying to imagine having a patch for invasive plants - where they could fight each other for dominance - but, hopefully stay out of the rest of the garden.
As kids we played a game where you couldn't be caught if you said you were In Cree and crossed your fingers - so I would put these plants in Cree where they'd be safe from weeding .
What do you think? Would it work and which plant would achieve dominance?
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli