Living Fence or Is It A Hedge?
Broadway Offline
Hello Folks

When chopping the fruit trees down earlier in the year I didn't realise they were holding the plot fence up!!

Anyway can anyone recommend decent, cheap, fast growing hedge plants as an alternative?

I still need to speak to the plot owner next door to see if he has any objections.

I suppose the last question is this a good or bad idea?

Many thanks
Danny
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Something to eat?? Blackcurrants make a good boundary edge. I have a row of about 10. I also have a similar row of gooseberries. You could do it between you and your neighbour and you pick one side each?

I have also planted a native wildlife hedge - it has hawthorn, rose, bird cherry, a couple of maple and hazel.

An all Hazel row would give you some nuts and you could use for twigs etc on the plots after a few years?

How far away are your fruit trees??
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec

Broadway Offline
Hi Scarlet

The fruit trees are probably insignificant now as they are just stumps?

I’d like something fairly cheap and low maintenance, the length is about 35-40 metres.
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do you need a fence/hedge?
Did you remove the tree roots or might they regrow?
I have too many questions but not enough information!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Hello Veggie

TBH I need to speak to the guy from the other plot, if he isn't bothered then NO I don't need the fence/hedge. Not sure what his view is but he is building his own fence the other side.

I've not removed the tree roots but the reason I cut them down is they were mankey, I'd only cut them again if they grew.
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I asked about the roots because if there's a lot you'll have difficulty replanting the area and - if you need a fence, you may have to build another one, or reinforce the one you have.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Fair point Veggie, given the pubs probably won't open here this side of Christmas I'll add digging them out to the list of jobs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Surely you haven't demolished 40m. (about 130ft.) of fencing?
The only reason you would want a fence would be to identify the boundary if it is not otherwise clear. Fruit bushes could be fairly cheap as cuttings. A mix of red and black currants (black for you, red for the birds), gooseberries and even rhubarb all as cuttings might do. They could go 2m. apart may be. Tayberries etc. could be added as and when Aldi etc. stock them. May be some Aldi/Lidl... fruit trees in time.
Depends how well you get on with your neighbour and what fruit you have elsewhere though.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(23-11-2020, 11:35 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Surely you haven't demolished 40m. (about 130ft.) of fencing?
The only reason you would want a fence would be to identify the boundary if it is not otherwise clear. Fruit bushes could be fairly cheap as cuttings. A mix of red and black currants (black for you, red for the birds), gooseberries and even rhubarb all as cuttings might do. They could go 2m. apart may be. Tayberries etc. could be added as and when Aldi etc. stock them. May be some Aldi/Lidl... fruit trees in time.
Depends how well you get on with your neighbour and what fruit you have elsewhere  though.
Hello Mark

No that's a fair call, I'd say about 1/3 is knackered. If I did have to fix it I'd rather replace it all as it's pretty s***.

I'd be quite happy to have no boundary, hopefully matey boy will agree next time I see him.
  • Mark_Riga

Spec Offline
If it's needed go for posts and fencing wire, reasonably priced quick with very little maintenance and if galvanized last for years