Leek Advice
Broadway Offline
Afternoon Folks

First time growing leeks and they are probably a 1/4 of the circumference they should be.

I'm assuming I can leave them in for as long as it takes them to mature, even if it takes 6 months next year?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You can eat them at any size and they'll sit there until you're ready........or they bolt!
Size doesn't always matter. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
What we talking here? Big spring onion size?
I’m not very knowledgable about leeks. I think it depends on variety if you can just leave them. Also the might just Chuck up a flower spike, if left to long.
I’d just eat them. Whatever size they are.  I’d also wait for advice from someone else before doing anything.  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The leeks I have are all sorts of sizes - even though they were sown at the same time and are the same variety.
I don't wait for them to be exhibition size or even look like the perfect specimen on the front of a seed packet - if I want a leek for the kitchen, I pull up the biggest one.
The small things in life are often the sweetest.Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
Hi Ladies 

SC - Spring onion type size

VG - I wasn't thinking about an exhibition this year as I'm still working on my dustbin lid presentaionSmile

So for clarity and probably a stupid 101 question when they flower that will be the end of their growth?
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yeah and the centre of them is one solid inedible lump.
If I get a flower spike I slice it length ways remove the hard flower stem. There is usually a couple of usable bits around the outside. If you can be bothered, it’s a bit of a faff.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-11-2020, 03:47 PM)Broadway Wrote: So for clarity and probably a stupid 101 question when they flower that will be the end of their growth?
 Its the end of their edibility because there will be a hard stem running up the centre of the leek to the flower head. 

They still keep growing because their aim is to flower and produce seed. I leave them to do fulfil themselves unless I need the space, when I dig them up and replant them in my permanent leek bed (NOT the Babington leek bed which is different).

When you leave the leek to flower, it forms side bulbs at the base, underground. You can eat these or replant them, as you would with garlic cloves.

Also, after you've pulled a leek, if you cut off the root end with an inch or so of stem and replant it, it will regrow. 

A leek is for life, not just for cooking. Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Broadway Offline
Ladies

You are a wealth of information, thank you.

Veggie, that’s really interesting regards the bottom inch and replanting!

So effectively with my current leeks If I wanted to I could start harvesting some now and replant the “inch” whilst leaving some with the hope they will get a little bigger?

Lastly, so what is the difference between the above and what one does with Babington’s?

Edit - I've just remembered Vinny mentioned something about replanting the leek bases, will need to find that post againSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Babington's are perennial leeks that form bulbils in the flower head and these will grow into a baby leek.
If you leave the leek it will grow more from sideshoots. https://backyardlarder.co.uk/babingtons-leek/

Its a specific variety of wild leek which grows around the coast of South Wales and the South West of England and Ireland. Its also the County Flower of Cardiff and grows on Flat Holm island where I used to be a volunteer tour guide and do conservation work. I grow it because of its connections and have never eaten any.

Most people treat leeks as annuals and grow them to eat, I treat them as perennials as I do spring onions!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

Spec Offline
You have received some good info so far Danny, if you do have any leeks that start going to seed the center stem that forms is as you have been told better being removed as it can be a bit bitter though the bottom 2 inches isn't too bad and is fine in a stir fry, but if you see any starting to go to seed snap off the seed head and use this leek as soon as possible if left it will start the rest of your crop going to seed, apparently it has something to do with pheromones.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on humans Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mark_Riga