Another plant ID please (Berberis)
Admin Offline
The Boss
That invokes such fond memories Veggi, especially the being free to roam.

We used to play in the coal yard at Newton Abbot, those were the days when prams were left outside supermarkets, complete with babies!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sounds like that’s how it should be. Being a child of the 70s things were starting to change a bit. But then my view was probably different to most kids. Being a sickly & unsociable child. Some things don’t change, I’m still unsociable  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(06-11-2020, 10:40 PM)Veggie Wrote: Would they keep the deer away?

My memory of berberis - When I was a nipper we'd play in the local park and the challenge was to hide in the bushes (mostly berberis and other unpleasant stuff) until the Parkie had locked the gates and gone home. We'd then play in the park until we wanted to leave and either climb the railings (spikes on top) or, in my case, wriggle out under the railings through a little tunnel we'd dug.
Fortunately, our accidents were minor as nobody would have known where we were or been able to get in to help!

Beware trainspotters,  they're a strange breed.  I know I married one.  I've managed to tame him a bit nowadays.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
(07-11-2020, 08:16 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Sounds like that’s how it should be. Being a child of the 70s things were starting to change a bit. But then my view was probably different to most kids. Being a sickly & unsociable child. Some things don’t change, I’m still unsociable  Big Grin .

Yes Sc I'm a child in the 70s also and thing just aren't the same nowadays for instance in those days the deer didn't come near the gardens (there wasn't as many in those days) and any that did come near would very likely have finished up in the pot Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You're a "child" in your 70s, Spec, you can't pretend otherwise!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(06-11-2020, 10:40 PM)Veggie Wrote: Would they keep the deer away?

My memory of berberis - When I was a nipper we'd play in the local park and the challenge was to hide in the bushes (mostly berberis and other unpleasant stuff) until the Parkie had locked the gates and gone home. We'd then play in the park until we wanted to leave and either climb the railings (spikes on top) or, in my case, wriggle out under the railings through a little tunnel we'd dug.
Fortunately, our accidents were minor as nobody would have known where we were or been able to get in to help!
Hmm, I think that's a welsh thing - unfortunately that little bit of mischief has never left me and I also managed to do the same on a barmy summer evening in Regents park in London.

Unfortunately climbing over the railings while 6 months pregnant with twins wasn't such a great idea - I think I had 4 blokes trying to catch this fat ball Big Grin with a couple staying guard on the inside! It created a bit of a stir and I can't believe how stupid I was now but it made the blokes feel like hero's Big Grin and entertained a dozen others.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
(07-11-2020, 11:57 PM)Veggie Wrote: You're a "child" in your 70s, Spec, you can't pretend otherwise!

Yes I can Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
It was a typo by Specs, he meant 1870's
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie