Flowers beginning with A
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Who'd like to compare notes about flowers that we grow or would like to grow (with reasons) - starting with A? We'll move on to the other letters later.Wink
I've been delving in my seedboxes and come up with 6 flowers I'd like to grow next year:-

Antirrhinum/Snap dragons - to play snap with.
Aquilegia - perennial, self seeders, lots of colours
Amaranth - not grown before but birds like the seed heads and can be eaten or dried for flower arrangements
Acroclinum - annual flowers for drying
Agastache/Anise hyssop - can be used for "tea" - good for pollinators
Aster - bright colours ? cut flowers

If I can grow these 6 next year, I'l be happy. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Anthuriums- they remind me of my childhood & the plant I’m saving seeds from this year has been the most stunning show of colour ( even though it’s self seeded on the path ) and it’s still going strong  Cool 

I’ll have to rummage in my seed tin for others. Can’t think of any other A’s without copying your list veggie  Big Grin . Although I do like the look of Agastache 
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Asters - definitely, I try every year with annual ones with varying amounts of success, tall and dwarf. I'm very tempted to try michaelmas daisies too.
Anthirrinums - no, grown them in previous years quite well but towards the end of summer they all got rust and had to be pulled out. I have several self sown or self over wintered plants that I give space to, just because they deserve to live.
Aquilegia - tried and failed to get colours other than mauve which take over the place
Alstroemeria - I would like to give them a go but I don't think i have any seeds.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Anthurium SC? Thought they were the rather rude houseplants that always make me snigger. Wink
Do you mean Antirrhinums? They remind me of my childhood too..............the one I've never grown out of. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-10-2020, 09:16 AM)Veggie Wrote: Anthurium SC? Thought they were the rather rude houseplants that always make me snigger. Wink
Do you mean Antirrhinums? They remind me of my childhood too..............the one I've never grown out of. Smile
Yeah I mean antirrhinums   Blush . Wish I could spell properly    Rolleyes  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
^^^ how to confuse an already confused southerner! I was looking up anthuriums and being very impressed that you grew these in a path! Smile
PS I couldn't spell antirrhinum either Sad
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
That's why we call them Snapdragons - much easier to spell - and remember. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Snapdragons can be sown in Autumn too so I'm going to give some a chance to prove it!!
I'm amazed how many types there are - tall ones, medium height ones and trailing for hanging baskets. So many colours too.

Sowing instructions from various packets all agree that you sow indoors on the surface of moist, well-drained compost and do NOT cover the seeds or exclude light.
Transplant seedlings to 8cm pots and pinch out growing stem when there are 6 true leaves to encourage bushiness.
Plant out after danger of frost.

My job for tomorrow. Smile
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I didn’t realise you pinched them out. I’ve never done that! I’ll try that next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've never "seriously" grown them - usually emptied old seeds somewhere and hoped for the best.Smile
  • Small chilli