Raspberries
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Although my query is about poorly raspberries with possible spur/cane blight, I thought to name the thread just raspberries so that it could cover a multitude of sins.

Right!  I have poorly raspberries.   The web indicates it could be a blight of some sort for which there is no home treatment.   The leaves start with brown/black spots which then get bigger until the whole leaf dies and drops off.  The upper fruit cage raspberries, although a little healthier, also have dark brown splodges on the new growing canes.  Ultimately the web recommends dig up diseases canes and  to desist growing raspberries in that soil, which is rather difficult  as the fruit cages are permanent and the non raspberry areas are filled with other soft fruit.  All that said, the raspberries produced more than sufficient for two of us, with plenty to freeze.  I'm tempted to feed, mulch and cosset the canes in the hope they might continue to produce, notwithstanding the disease, which is basically what I've done for the past couple of years.  Any thoughts anyone?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
If they are Autumn fruiting, they don't particularly need to be in a cage. Uncaged, some would be got by birds but not too many. You could have a few in a tub in the cage if you want some Summer fruiting ones and are able to water when dry. There are a some dwarfs on the market but no idea what they are like. I've seen Ruby, Yummy and sweet sunshine.
I've got a small clump of autumn fruiting Joan J that escaped from a cage and I've had lots of fruit off it. The birds don't bother with it later in the year.

Edit: But I would probably do as you suggest: cosset them while they are producing enough fruit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've only got summer fruiting, but am considering a few autumn ones, as you say, they don't get attacked by the birds so much
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man