Five or Ten a Day - do you?
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I reckon we have a pretty good diet - loads of fresh fruit and veg, lots of pulses and not much meat. Biscuits, cakes and puddings are a weekend only thing, as is alcohol and even then not a lot. Today I think we achieved ten portions of fruit and veg but it is usually closer to seven.
How do you guys do and what is your veg/fruit split? (Although technically I think almost all our veg was fruit today!)
Today we had apples, bananas, half a peach and a pear, cucumber, tomatoes, tomatillo, pumpkin, aubergines, lentils plus some onion, garlic, chillies & ginger which might have made one more portion.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well done PP. Smile
I try to eat something from the fruit and veg dept (preferably the one in the Little shop at the end of the garden) at every meal. I don't eat meat, although I do eat some fish, so most of my meals are veggie based.
At the moment, breakfast is granola with apples and raspberries/blackberries; lunch will include tomatoes, cucumber and salad leaves and dinner is whatever comes to hand, usually including courgettes!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Vinny

Greenfingers Offline
A few years ago a doctor asked my husband, in his mid eighties at the time what his diet was like. He told her it was excellent and he had at least 7 of his 5 a day every day and more fish and seafood than meat. He then added that he then usually had goodies or a treat (such as homemade cake) as well.
She told him to carry on as it was obviously doing him good.
At this time of the year courgettes and tomatoes go into everything, sweetcorn is the perfect starter and grapes the ideal snack. Strawberries and raspberries zapped with milk are my ideal breakfast milkshake.
[-] The following 3 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I've just rebooted my plant-based wholefood diet, so yesterday's meals included 6oz mixed berries, a big mixed salad with tinned flageolet beans plus two kiwifruit for dessert, and a stirfry that totalled 14oz of veg and salad (I usually measure in grams, but I'm using a US meal plan). I'm pretty sure I'm getting at least 10 of my 5-a-day!

I remember reading somewhere that the recommended amount is actually at least 7-8 a day, but when the policy makers came to create their campaign, they scaled it back to 5 because they knew most people would be so put off by a higher target that they wouldn't even try.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
Its easy done if you grow your own fruit and veg. I had to laugh when my great niece said " Wow you have free food in your garden" Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Bren's post:
  • Greenfingers, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I eat mainly veg with the occasional chicken (may be 8ish organic chicken a year, used to be as a meal with guests and the remains packaged into the freezer) and some fish and cheese.
For example last night was the last of a shepard(ess) pie which had lots of veg in topped with potato and cheese, this morning for breakfast included 60g of black-currants and raspberries mixed and lunch will include cucumber, tomato and onions.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I never count how many veg I have a day.I am also a confirmed carnivore, usually having meat with most meals. Most of the veg and fruit I eat comes either from the allotment or the hedgerows.

I love fish as well and usually have it twice a week.

Just saying.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Nice work everyone - and don't forget that pulses count as both protein and one of your five a day. Win Win!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie

Jay Offline
Oh dear, I’m not good at the old 5 a day thing!!
Now that I have something to look forward to next year, something to be extra healthy and fit for, I’ve decided to rectify my diet and exercise routine!! So here’s to the future!! Smile
West of Scotland
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just checked and wine doesn't count. Wink

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppor...ot-5-a-day
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 7 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Greenfingers, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Roitelet, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny