Onion Sets
Broadway Offline
Evening Folks

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the sets planted in autumn and spring?

If not would sets purchased now be ok/last until planted spring next year?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Their is a difference. The cultivars are better suited to autumn planting and mature two to three weeks earlier than spring planted cultivars, but don't store as well.
You could try an experiment, but is it worth it when you can purchase sets for spring planting next year?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
(08-09-2020, 10:08 PM)Vinny Wrote: Their is a difference. The cultivars are better suited to autumn planting and mature two to three weeks earlier than spring planted cultivars, but don't store as well.
You could try an experiment, but is it worth it when you can purchase sets for spring planting next year?
Thanks Vinny

No need for an experiment, you've answered my questionSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I received my onion sets yesterday. 80 X Sturon sets and 50 X Centurion F1 sets. They were both similarly priced so I imagine the difference in quantity was because Centurion is an F1 variety?
I have grown Centurion a couple of years ago and they were great.(I didn't know they were F1) I couldn't get any last year.

The Autumn planted onion sets planted in the allotment, both red and white have made very little growth this time and are only a couple of inches high.
Once I get these new sets planted (which won't be for a while yet) it will be interesting to see how the maturity times differ, if at all.

I have been self sufficient in onions for a long time now and hopefully the onions I have in store will see me through until the Japs start maturing. If need be I will pull a few 'in the green' to tide me through. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Mark_Riga

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
My autumn planted sets are till there but will they survive this deluge? There is still a lot of water round the bed so their 'feet' must be stood in water now and for how much longer? More precipitation forecast for tomorrow here and over the next few days.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB