Alarming to say the least.
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Star 
I walk my dog along the edge of a wheat field. About a week ago, and even though the wheat is about ready to harvest I saw the farmer spraying the field.We quickly vacated the field edge.

It appears it was weedkiller as the weeds are now dying in the field and even the wheat leaves have turned yellow. I used to work in amenity horticulture and did some tractor mounted spraying myself. As far as i know this could only have been a glyphosate based or worse still an aminopyralid based weedkiller.
Its rather worrying that the wheat will soon be harvested and as long as an appropriate time has been left before harvesting the farmer is quite within his rights to do this?

Sorry if this may seem alarmist but I will in future be sourcing organically grown flour or bread because of this.

PS I don't really understand why this was needed and wonder how organic farmers achieve the same result?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Moth, Neffa, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its an old article but may still be relevant. https://www.ecowatch.com/roundup-cancer-1882187755.html
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I buy organic produce as much as possible, not just because of the supposed health benefits but because it's so much better for wildlife - and more sustainable too. It breaks my heart to see comparison photos of tractors ploughing when I was kid, followed by flocks of seagulls, and ones nowadays that plough alone because the soil is so sterile there's nothing left to scavenge.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(07-09-2020, 04:33 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its an old article but may still be relevant. https://www.ecowatch.com/roundup-cancer-1882187755.html

I honestly didn't realise this was standard practice veggie. I don't blame the farmers who are only trying to make a living, within the law.

Hopefully this practice will be seen for what it is in the future and my grandchildren and great grandchildren will not be poisoned by glyphosate. I won't hold my breath though.

In the meantime,I need to find a source of organic bread and flour and help promote these suppliers and keep them in business.
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I didn't know it was standard practice either, Vinny. In fact, when I saw that article, I assumed that it no longer happened and that the use of glyphosate had ceased.
Guess I was wrong............again.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
A key sentence from the article:“I think everyone, even farmers that use and love glyphosate, would rather not eat a loaf of bread with glyphosate in it."

I've been buying Dove Farms flour for decades now. Got a bit grumpy when it became nearly unobtainable. But my daughter shops at a Vegan store in Manchester (Unicorn) who have had it on their shelves continuously. They were limiting it at one stage to 2 bags each.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(07-09-2020, 08:54 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: A key sentence from the article:“I think everyone, even farmers that use and love glyphosate, would rather not eat a loaf of bread with glyphosate in it."

I've been buying Dove Farms flour for decades now. Got a bit grumpy when it became nearly unobtainable. But my daughter shops at a Vegan store in Manchester (Unicorn) who have had it on their shelves continuously. They were limiting it at one stage to 2 bags each.

I bought some Dove's Farm khorasan flour in Tesco the other day. Maybe I'll stock up on some more and make my own bread a bit more often in future!

I made tear'n'share garlic bread yesterday with Allinson's wild garlic mix - very nice! I also made my own pita bread a few weeks ago. Really good, all soft and fluffy - very different from the dry and leathery stuff you get in most supermarkets. The nearest to authentic pita bread I've come across commercially is Tesco's Finest, and that's only available in fancy flavours like garlic'n'herb or spicy tomato, but they're still not as nice as home-made.

This is the recipe I used: https://www.themediterraneandish.com/hom...ad-recipe/
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Mikey, Moth

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Just found this - 38 Degrees has a petition you can sign calling for the practice to be banned.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/b...0harvested.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Vinny Offline
(12-09-2020, 10:21 AM)Moth Wrote: Just found this - 38 Degrees has a petition you can sign calling for the practice to be banned.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/b...0harvested.
Petition signed. Thanks Moth
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Signed by me too!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth