Growing Herbs from Cuttings
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

I need more Herbs in my life and I know how to get them FREE!!  Cool
I'm challenging myself to take cuttings every day until.......................I forget.Smile

Today's Herb is Pineapple Sage  - Salvia Elegans aka Salvia Rutilans. I love the smell of the leaves (its pineapple in case you can't guess) and the bright red flowers. Its hardy outdoors here and easy to grow from cuttings. The Flower photo was taken in November so its extra valuable to have flowers at that time of year.

I've taken cuttings of this year's side shoots; removed the lowest leaves and woody bit at the bottom of the stem and stuck them in a jar of water on the window sill.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Norfolk Grey

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I unintentionally created a herb plant from a cutting a while back - I left a glass of sparkling water with a sprig of mint in it on a shelf and forgot about it for a few days, and when I went to tidy it up, I noticed that the stem had sprouted roots!

Sadly I did not plant it, but the supermarket mint plant that I shoved in a pot of compost is doing very nicely!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mint is very easy to root in water - so if you want more of your supermarket plant, go for it!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Today's Herb is a variegated Oregano "Country Cream" - green with cream highlights. 
I've been using it to edge a bed but I've only done a couple of feet so I need lots more!
Same technique as yesterday, soft wood shoots, bottom leaves & the flowering bits at the top of the stems removed. Now sitting in 2 little jars  of water until they root.
  • Mikey

doublyjonah Offline
Is lavender or rosemary best rooted in water as well, or do I want compost for those?
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

I start most cuttings in water - its easy, free and you can see what's happening in the root department. 
Here's a rosemary I prepared earlier. Smile
  • Mikey

doublyjonah Offline
Excellent, thank you Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Veggie

Mikey Offline
I did this with Basil this year, got one supermarket plant took cuttings, rooted in water and produced about 30 new plants. That one pot has provided my basil needs all summer. The original pot has now passed away but the offspring are still happily supporting all my pizzas, tomato soup and bruschetta needs.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Today's Herb cuttings are Golden Oregano although it doesn't look very "golden" in isolation from the rest of the plant. Its a low growing, sprawler with white flowers. Another one I'm using to edge a bed and I need a lot more!
I've cut off the flower heads and leaves from the base and I'll dry these for cooking in pasta sauce and on pizzas.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Been a bit busy today so had to grab a few cuttings after dark. The closest plants were lavender so that's my Cutting of the Day. now snugly sitting in their little jar of water.
The windowsill is filling up rapidly. Smile