How do you choose?
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just had to google that. I like that. Another one for my list. Thank you  Smile .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
What I look for in ornamentals:

• Is it attractive to bees? Without pollinators, some of my veg will struggle to fruit, so the more the merrier!
  • Is it scented, and if so, do I like the scent? There's nothing lovelier than the scent of roses or honeysuckle on a June evening breeze, but I find jasmine a bit sickly
  • Is it available in purple/pink/white? I'm not so keen on 'warm' colours, though I'll make an exception for workhorse companions like marigolds
  • Is it native, or at least a selected breed of a native species? (More likely to support wildlife)
  • Will it fill a gap, either physical or seasonal? It's always good to extend the flowering season, to help early/late insects, and ornamentals are a good choice for shadier spots where veg won't flourish
Hence my garden (current/planned) contains a lot of traditional ornamentals like roses, honeysuckle, clematis, sweet peas, hardy geraniums, salvias, tulips and crocuses. Some might find it boring and predictable, but I know what I like!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Basically, if it's free I'll have it and bung it in somewhere. I've no design flair and even less style ideas, but wish I did. I would love an ornamental garden to be proud of. As it is I make do with a bit of summer bedding for colour then give up and revert to veg.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I like that angels fishing rod plant!

I used to choose plants that were cheap/bargains/half dead etc Or anything that took my fancy on the day. I love big bold plants...so always loved dahlias. I like big tall things, or plants with large leaves.
Over the last few years I've changed my ideas. Hostas don't grow in my garden, hydrangeas get too dry in the summer so they are out. I don't like grasses much.
I love annuals because they come in lots of colours, bees love them, they are easy from seed and I love to potter in the greenhouse.
I've added lots of roses as I love the smell and I think I've finally found my style - but it suits my house and my love of growing from seed and potting up stuff.

I grow mainly cottage garden plants. It's a bit bare in the winter. So roses, penstemons ( easy to take cuttings every year) lupin, verbena, foxgloves, helenium, euphorbia, phlox, snap dragons, cosmos, lychnis, cornflowers and poppies. Lots of alliums. Early on its hellebores, peony, and perennial geraniums are everywhere. These are easy to split. Most of my garden is pale pinks and purples. With the odd whites here and there. Late summer oranges and yellows start to come in. I'm slowly adding in a few more perennials to keep the work down.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Generally my choices have very little to do with it, it’s what gets in the OH’s way when shopping. She’s drawn to things but cares little about future size. If it’s the right colour and is near enough the right look for the hole it goes in the ground. I’m frequently having to move things that were wrong for habitat shade/light too big or getting swamped. I’m not overly bothered the floral beds are hers I’m the monkey. I sometimes sneak a herb or fruit in there without her noticing. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
My husband sneaks trees in!! So annoying!
He is super tight so they are seedlings he has found in the garden. Hazel,hawthorn, walnut or horse chestnut and lately he has been bringing home willow cuttings. Sad I leave them there for a few weeks and then wiggle then out a bit so they look like they haven't taken.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:

Mikey Offline
Sounds like a war of attrition Scarlet Big Grin
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Curly Offline
Wink 
If I see a plant I like I will buy it and fit it into the garden somewhere size is not that important as most plants (but not bulbs) can be restricted, really the only guide I have is, does it cost less than £1.
[-] The following 3 users Like Curly's post:
  • Admin, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
£1!!!! You must have won the lottery, Curly. ;(
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, Mikey

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(16-08-2020, 12:20 AM)Mikey Wrote: Sounds like a war of attrition Scarlet Big Grin
I get really annoyed about it as he doesn't do gardening!! But then sticks trees everywhereSad They are hard to dig out and they suck all the water away and shade the garden. I've given up arguing about as it's easier to kill them Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Mikey, Small chilli