Blackberries
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
    Plenty of blackberries around at the moment - picking some every day for breakfast.
These are in the wild hedge in the garden so I don't have to fend off any other pickers.
For most of the year I call these brambles and curse them because they're so scratchy - now I call them blackberries and welcome them. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah, Mikey, Proserpina

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Yours are a lot further on than the ones around here veggie. Very few ripe ones yet. Undecided
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Its noticeable how the brambles in the sun, facing south and west are much further ahead than the ones facing north and east. Also that the branches that are not overshadowed by other brambles have the biggest and best fruit.
I felt they were trying to teach me how to position and prune soft fruit to get the best from them. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mikey, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
Brings back memories of childhood, blackberry and apple crumble, and pink/mauve fingers for a week Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
I picked the first of my blackberries this morning just a tray full.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Mikey Offline
Veggie you’ve hit the nail on the head. When I’m out walking the dog and gathering things the position and orientation of a hedgerow lets me know what will be ripe when, currently east facing hedges have only a handful blackberries unless they are well sheltered from the wind. I’m picking south Main crop and west Earlies at the moment but will be picking east in about a week or two. North always produces the smallest fruit.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
Mikey our collie used to love blackberries and would eat all she could reach, it made picking them a bit of a pain because she'd sort of nudge you out of the way if you were stood in front of the best ones. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Mikey, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Bren, the pups do that too - in fact they regard most of the fruit and veg as a PYO garden - blackberries, raspberries, peas, beans, apples...............
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(09-08-2020, 07:21 AM)Mikey Wrote: Veggie you’ve hit the nail on the head. When I’m out walking the dog and gathering things the position and orientation of a hedgerow lets me know what will be ripe when, currently east facing hedges have only a handful blackberries unless they are well sheltered from the wind. I’m picking south Main crop and west Earlies at the moment but will be picking east in about a week or two. North always produces the smallest fruit.

I have difficulty figuring NSEW in my own garden, never mind when I'm out walking! Smile (Same problem with left and right  -  made navigating in the car hell, before satnav)
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Vinny

Mikey Offline
When you go walking just before sunrise like I do JJB it’s very easy to work out which direction east is. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Vinny