CFB yellowing leaves
JJB Online
Moonraker
My Hunter CFBs have yellowing and dying leaves.  The newer growth at the top of the support is green.  Also another variety is doing the same, although not so drastically.  They have been watered regularly  and fed haphazardly.  Is this a natural progression or am I missing a trick.  Other CFB are OK with no yellow leaves.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Did you plant the Hunter earlier than the others?
Personally, at this time of year. I expect to see plants looking a bit tired. I'm leaving some of mine to set seeds now.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, JJB

Mikey Offline
Beans do an awful lot of work in a very short space of time and exhaust the nutrients in the ground, quickly. I trench my beans to help alleviate this but, will still feed them with nettle and comfrey tea about twice a week through the summer to give them lots of extra vigour.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Eyren, JJB

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(07-08-2020, 06:58 PM)JJB Wrote: My Hunter CFBs have yellowing and dying leaves.  The newer growth at the top of the support is green.  Also another variety is doing the same, although not so drastically.  They have been watered regularly  and fed haphazardly.  Is this a natural progression or am I missing a trick.  Other CFB are OK with no yellow leaves.
Mine's the same, JJB! I thought it was because I'd watered them early on a hot day and the leaves had burned, but maybe not. It's not because they're old, either, since I didn't sow them until early June -  - they're flowering and hopefully setting fruit - but our soil is quite poor so even with a good layer of compost on top that might not have been enough.

As per Mikey's tip about feeding, I'm going to sprinkle some alpaca poo around them to give them a boost!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • JJB

JJB Online
Moonraker
I think feed might be the issue but fear I might be too late. I must remember to feed and perhaps stagger sowings. I know I get too enthusiastic at the first sign of spring. The crop has been good so I can't really complain. This year for the first time I also have left a few plants to set seed, as the beans are so nice, they will become a staple each year. Once again thanks to Veggie for the recommendation.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
My beans have a couple of chicken manure pellets in the hole at planting out - if I remember. After that. they're on their own. I can't be doing with all this feeding/watering malarkey.
PS, They'e still green, I checked yesterday.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

JJB Online
Moonraker
(08-08-2020, 09:29 AM)Veggie Wrote: My beans have a couple of chicken manure pellets in the hole at planting out - if I remember. After that. they're on their own. I can't be doing with all this feeding/watering malarkey.
PS, They'e still green, I checked yesterday.

Must be some other reason then, I have watered them rather enthusiastically,  might be too much.  Anyway I'll give them a feed of something today perhaps but I fear the damage is done.  Luckily I've got more beans than I know what to do with.  In my imagination I picture you with your thumb to your nose wiggling your fingers and going nah na na na nah nah, in the nicest possible way of course Wink
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(08-08-2020, 09:14 AM)JJB Wrote: I think feed might be the issue but fear I might be too late.  I must remember to feed and perhaps stagger sowings.  I know I get too enthusiastic at the first sign of spring.  The crop has been good so I can't really complain.  This year for the first time I also have left a few plants to set seed, as the beans are so nice, they will become a staple each year.  Once again thanks to Veggie for the recommendation.
What variety are you growing?
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(08-08-2020, 07:10 AM)Mikey Wrote: Beans do an awful lot of work in a very short space of time and exhaust the nutrients in the ground, quickly. I trench my beans to help alleviate this but, will still feed them with nettle and comfrey tea about twice a week through the summer to give them lots of extra vigour.

That's interesting - I water if it is really dry/hot, but never feed becaue I though the nitrogen fixing capacity of the plant made it not necessary. They get loads of compost on the bed before planting and then are mulched.
Something to try for next year!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Mikey

JJB Online
Moonraker
(08-08-2020, 09:48 AM)Eyren Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 09:14 AM)JJB Wrote: I think feed might be the issue but fear I might be too late.  I must remember to feed and perhaps stagger sowings.  I know I get too enthusiastic at the first sign of spring.  The crop has been good so I can't really complain.  This year for the first time I also have left a few plants to set seed, as the beans are so nice, they will become a staple each year.  Once again thanks to Veggie for the recommendation.
What variety are you growing?

Hunter.  They're a flat type of CFB.  Much enjoyed in the JJB  household
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie