I love Squirrels!
Clare Offline
(28-07-2020, 02:31 PM)Curly Wrote: The number of gray squirrels in this area has reduced this year, don't know the reason for this, possibly du to all the trees that were planted several years ago being more mature now or there may be some pine martens moving into the area
Hopefully, you reduced number of grey squirrels is because the pine martins are moving in. I was involved in the Pine martin release project and they are moving down the country and breeding well. The red squirrel populations where they have been released have increased and grey squirrels are being eaten or moving away from those areas.  If only Pine martins would move over my way, would solve my issue.
[-] The following 2 users Like Clare's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(28-07-2020, 02:31 PM)Curly Wrote: The number of gray squirrels in this area has reduced this year, don't know the reason for this, possibly du to all the trees that were planted several years ago being more mature now or there may be some pine martens moving into the area
It has been recorded in parts of Ireland where the pine marten have increased in numbers the grey squirrel numbers are decreasing and red squirrels increasing. 

With regards to eating grey squirrel I started thinking about the TV show and later the movie The Beverly Hillbillies, granny used to make possum pie, they looked similar to squirrel, I remember in the movie she stopped the truck and got out with a shovel and bucket to collect roadkill for her pie. Who knows anything goes.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Curly, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Shooting neighbours cannot be recommended by the management.  Although in years past it has been wistfully considered.  Big Grin especially as they fed the squirrels with peanuts and to this day leave bread and cat food out on the lawn ostensibly for the birds, cat and hedgehog, but in reality for the rats living in the nest under their bird feeder. We've forgiven them as they are lovely people. Rolleyes
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man