Growing protein
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I follow a few YouTube gardeners for inspiration and knowledge. One of the ones I like is Mark from Self Sufficient Me. He's just completed a three week trial of subsisting solely on food he has produced himself (other than coffee beans, oils, salt, and some condiments). He has a good-sized property and - in addition to loads of raised beds and fruit trees/bushes - has quite a few chickens, ducks and quail that are kept for both meat and eggs. However, it is Winter there (Australia), so they were getting fewer eggs than at other times of year and didn't want to eat any of their birds outside of breeding season. He and his wife ended up with serious protein cravings!

This all got me to thinking about how we can increase our homegrown protein stocks. I'm hoping to get to a point where I'm growing a large proportion of my fruit and veg (as opposed to now, where the things I grow are more of a tasty supplement to what I buy). I'd also like to have some poultry once I have my own garden, but just for eggs as I'm a vegetarian. I'll still be buying proteins in the form of dairy, nutritional yeast, pulses, nuts and seeds. However, it would be really nice to be able to grow a decent amount of protein in my own garden too and I wondered if anyone had any good thoughts about the best crops to maximise high protein garden crops. 

So far, I have been thinking about:
  1. Peas and beans - some for eating fresh, some for freezing, and lots to dry. I've only eaten homegrown ones fresh before. Anyone have any favourite options for drying?
  2. Seeds - I've thought about sunflowers, pumpkin/other squash seeds, and poppy seeds. What other edible seeds can we produce in our gardens?
  3. Seeds as grains - for example, quinoa and amaranth which are both supposed to be relatively easy to grow (though in significant quantities?) Are there any others?
  4. Nuts - chestnut and walnut trees are huge, but hazelnuts/cobnuts would go well in a hedgerow. Anyone have experience with growing nut-trees?
  5. Underground things - I'm thinking peanuts and tiger nuts. Can peanuts be grown in the UK? Has anyone managed to grow tiger nuts in decent quantities?
  6. Fungi - definitely something I want to try when I have a longer-term garden. Has anyone had good success with inoculating wood mulch or using dowels?
  7. Other high protein fruit and veg. As a vegetarian, I have often seen lists of these, but you often have to eat a ridiculous quantity to get a decent amount of protein. Anyone have any favourites?
I'm not expecting to be able to get close to producing all my protein in my future garden, but it would be great to hear everybody else's ideas about how to produce as much as possible.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proserpina's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
All I can add to that is coriander for edible seeds.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Proserpina

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I follow a similar diet - although my one chicken has virtually stopped laying and I'm unsure about whether to get more.
Some of the ideas you've mentioned I've tried and, without wishing to deter you from trying, I haven't been very successful.

Beans for drying -yes, try the bigger ones like Gigantes (like butterbeans).
Sunflower and pumpkin seeds - yes, but most of the pumpkin seeds will have a shell on that is inedible. Some varieties are "naked".
Plenty of other seeds you can grow but mostly they're flavouring, rather than substantial.
Not bothered with amaranth or quinoa as they seem a lot of faff to process.
I have hazels in the hedge but the squirrel usually beats me to them. Chestnut and walnut take years to fruit.
Peanuts only grown for fun.
Fungi - tried dowels, wood mulch, straw and others I've forgotten. Not as easy as they say.

Personally, I try to grow a range of fruit and veg and eat plenty of it. I'd rather buy a bag of nuts than wait 30 years for a tree in the garden. (I do have a sweet chestnut!)

I've dreamt for years about being self-sufficient but it wouldn't be easy without a lot of land and time. No harm dreaming though and doing the best you can.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Proserpina, Small chilli

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Yum, coriander seeds!

And yes, self sufficiency is definitely far beyond my capabilities (without inheriting millions from a distant relative I didn't know I had, and suffering some calamity that would force me to leave work but leave me capable of the mental and physical labour required...) However, every little helps and the mass production of protein rich foods is particularly problematic for the environment.

I have seen recipes for roasting pumpkin seeds in their husk, and then eating them like that. I tried it once and they were definitely an acquired taste (and texture) that I hadn't acquired yet! Perhaps something to experiment with more, in the hope of making something more palatable when I'm in a position to save more seed.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sprouted seeds apparently increases their protein level - That would be easy to do, even without a garden.Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We used to grow beans for drying - red kidney, green kidney (flageolet), borlotti & the local white Tarbais bean but I've given up because they're always infested with bean beetle. There's nothing quite like a jar full of dying beetles and beans full of grubs Sad
I've tried chickpeas but got just about as many peas as I sowed, but they were smaller.
I have also considered growing poultry & rabbits for the table - we're largely vegetarian because we won't buy intensively raised meat, whereas if it was our own, we could be sure.
There are huge numbers of sweet chestnuts grown here, indeed in a neighbouring village a new tree is planted whenever a baby is born in the commune. They could be a flour substitute, too.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
A Tee Bone Steak tree would be nice. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

Mikey Offline
A lot of what you are hoping to achieve could be helped by getting to know the wild larder around you, I pick the 4 f's fruit, flora, fauna and fungi and know a lot of places within a 5-mile radius of me, and some further afield if I'm after something specific like Porcini/Cep. I'm also lucky to be by the sea, so there are a lot of other good ingredients either for the plate or as mulch for the garden.

I've also started to take over my whole garden now, instead of just the veg beds. I have fruit and herbs in amongst my borders, grow flowers for salads, yet I still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface. I add a few more things every year and mostly they go under the radar with the OH as long as they look pretty. She's not so keen on raspberries as hedging though, she says they are thuggish and keep swamping her hostas. To my knowledge, you can't eat a hosta so I don't pay too much heed.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hostas are edibleSmile Lots of links on Goggle.
Now say Thanks to your Missus whil you eat her hostas!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Our hazels (goodness kniw how many as all intertwined) were here when we bought the house. They are more treeish than hedging size, but give us bags of cobnuts and the squirrels as well. And dotted at various points.we cut two right down and it came back stronger.

We also use some shoots for homemade fencing and stick to tie climbers too. Be aware, the rods seem to take root after a year...
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • Proserpina