Intuitive gardening
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
These seems to be the new hip term being floated about. Rolleyes

I personally have practised this type of gardening for years but they have eventually came up with a name for it. It basically means, forget about crop rotation, forget all you have read in books, do what you think is right and will work,mix flowers fruit and vegetables, create havens for wildlife to name but a few ideas.

Just basic common sense really Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 8 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not heard this term before but it all sounds very familiar!

Call me a sceptic if you like, but thinking of a new name for a way to garden is a commercial decision and we'll see books/TV/Youtube features about it and someone will be everyone's favourite "Intuitive gardener".

I nominate you, Vinny. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
I nominate Vinny too Big Grin

Intuitive gardening eh? Not heard of it before, but ok, I'll intuitively go with that!

I did a bit of that today actually. I figured that the tomato would be happy next to the cucumber and planted them next to each other, since they go so well in a salad Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(19-07-2020, 04:50 PM)Vinny Wrote: These seems to be the new hip term being floated about. Rolleyes

I personally have practised this type of gardening for years but they have eventually came up with a name for it. It basically means, forget about crop rotation, forget all you have read in books, do what you think is right and will work,mix flowers fruit and vegetables, create havens for wildlife to name but a few ideas.

Just basic common sense really Big Grin
Sounds like our Veggie to me  Big Grin
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Vinny and I have a similar take on gardening - but he's better at it than me. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Curly Offline
I recon that most older gardeners will do intuitive gardening, so Vinny and Veggie no doubt both work that way, the two of them could do a utube presentation with SarrissUK doing the younger presenter bit though I don't suppose it would be noticed
[-] The following 3 users Like Curly's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
(19-07-2020, 09:53 PM)Curly Wrote: I recon that most older gardeners will do intuitive gardening, so Vinny and Veggie no doubt both work that way, the two of them could do a utube presentation with SarrissUK doing the younger presenter bit though I don't suppose it would be noticed

haha shall I do my best Ulrika Johnson impression? Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:

Admin Offline
The Boss
I am a two chance gardener....it grows or it doesn't
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My first garden came as a package with a husband and a house - and I didn't have a clue how to garden (or clean a house!). I read books, watched TV and it seemed you had to plant in rows, rotate crops, use plenty of artificial fertiliser/sprays - but that's no good when you have a small garden and want to grow lots of different things - so I experimented to see what would work and what wouldn't - and I've been doing that ever since.
Maybe its intuition, maybe its experience? All I know is, I still cannot plant anything in a row, rotate crops or use artificial fertilisers or pesticides - and I've been growing tomatoes and courgettes every year since that first year!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
This is where I spotted the term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_UnaVNNWYI

The guy's voice grates on me but the woman has very similar ideas to me.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons