Carrots in pots undercover
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm trying carrots in pots for the first time and have sown some Amsterdam  Forcing in a couple of MFBs to eventually go undercover to extend the season.  What soil have those who do this regularly found to be best.  Ordinary sieved garden soil, bought compost, or a mix.  I'm assuming undiluted home made compost would be a bit rich.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I just use MPC.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Anything sieved.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
(19-07-2020, 09:49 AM)JJB Wrote: I'm trying carrots in pots for the first time and have sown some Amsterdam  Forcing in a couple of MFBs to eventually go undercover to extend the season.  What soil have those who do this regularly found to be best.  Ordinary sieved garden soil, bought compost, or a mix.  I'm assuming undiluted home made compost would be a bit rich.
I'm also doing this for the first time but will revert to a RB next yearSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(19-07-2020, 10:05 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(19-07-2020, 09:49 AM)JJB Wrote: I'm trying carrots in pots for the first time and have sown some Amsterdam  Forcing in a couple of MFBs to eventually go undercover to extend the season.  What soil have those who do this regularly found to be best.  Ordinary sieved garden soil, bought compost, or a mix.  I'm assuming undiluted home made compost would be a bit rich.

Broadway, what's an RB?
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(19-07-2020, 11:31 AM)JJB Wrote:

Broadway, what's an RB?
Sorry raised bedSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(19-07-2020, 11:31 AM)JJB Wrote:

Broadway, what's an RB?

Don't worry,  I found it on the Acronym thread....Raised Bed.  It didn't occur to me as I don't use them, could only thing of runner bean or rubble bucket
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I grow mine in raised beds and use a mix of soil, MPC and light grit
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

Roitelet Offline
I always grow mine in pots in sieved soil, compost and sand. I also either grow them under nets or elevated which helps to avoid the risk of carrot fly. First sowing under cover in late Feb. or early March and a second sowing in July to be over wintered. I have already pulled some babies or second thinnings from the first sowing and scrummy they were!!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga

Bren Offline
My carrots do a lot better when grown in buckets/pots  I use a mix of sieved soil, spent compost, leaf mould,    once I've sown the seeds I net them so no carrot fly damage that used to spoil my carrots sown in the veg beds.

[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie