Face Masks
Neffa Offline
This is not a thread to discuss Government actions, WHO statements or the rainbow of scientific’evidence’ associated with COVID. 

This is about my experience of face masks. 

Please powers that be delete if you think this unsuitable. 

OK. 

OH has early onset dementia and serious lung and heart problems. 

Had to walk to the chemist in the next village yesterday as he’s not so good to get the meds his Community Respiratory Nurse said he needed. 
Went into chemist in my hospital quality mask to see a young lady in front waiting to be served. Chemist lady said she should be wearing a mask to which the young lady replied ‘ ill never wear one as it will ruin my makeup’. 

Managed to get a bus home and me and an elderly gent were the only 2 on the bus except for the driver. 

I’m wearing a mask to help protect both myself and OH whilst the driver isn’t and the elderly gent was but it was beneath his nose. 

In shop, PO and garage this morning and the lady that runs it said it was nice to see me wearing my mask properly as a teenager had been in with his attached sideways. 

In my PERSONAL opinion I don’t want anybody to risk either my OH or myself.
Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. 

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 5 users Like Neffa's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is no help really but the 2 chemists I frequent only allow one person in at a time and the doors are locked so you can't push your way in. You also have your temp taken before you can enter.
You can only do the best you can for yourselves. Keep your distance. If you're wearing your mask it must shield you from others. Since the scientists seem to have mixed views on masks, who am I to say what will work.?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Neffa

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I see a lot of the same here in Ireland a lot of people just wont bother, it really pi$$es me off. Also why won’t they use the hand sanitizer at the entrance of the shop, it does appear to be younger people who can’t be bothered. I don’t use public transport on a regular basis so I have no idea of what’s happening on it, when it is mandatory on public transport here in Ireland
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Neffa, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I see even doctors that won't wear face masks walking around the hospital so I'm not surprised that others don't understand the importance of it. It really is such a small price to pay to keep yourself and others safe.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa, Scarlet

Neffa Offline
I will always wear one not just it might help protect both me and the OH but to protect everyone around me just in case I did have the virus.
I would hate to be the reason why others became ill or died.

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neffa's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
That's a bit of a palaver to get a prescription Neffa. There are plenty of volunteer groups around here that will help.
A friend of mind picks up peoples prescriptions while doing her usual shopping to save people having to use public transport unnecessarily. You could do a return favour for someone local so you wouldn't need to travel?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa, Veggie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I know how you feel. I get so annoyed, it would help protect others if eveeryone wore them. I can only wear very shorttime for bloods etc, as my sats crash. But all my family are wearing them outside of our home and garden x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 2 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa

Neffa Offline
(16-07-2020, 10:45 AM)Scarlet Wrote: That's a bit of a palaver to get a prescription Neffa. There are plenty of volunteer groups around here that will help.
A friend of mind picks up peoples prescriptions while doing her usual shopping to save people having to use public transport unnecessarily. You could do a return favour for someone local so you wouldn't need to travel?
We normally get scripts delivered. However, the chemist in yet another village has started using a hub system. Phoned the ‘hub’ to ask when something classed as urgent would be delivered and was told 4-5 days. 
If I hadn’t walked to the chemist a mile away I’d have had to wait till the next day, catch an infrequent bus, hope they had the meds and then bus home. 
That chemist is 5 miles away and OH is not safe to be left on his own for the time it would have taken. 
As far as community volunteers are concerned I can’t find any info from our Parish Council. It’s OK though as they still appear to be cutting the hedges through the village so it looks nice. Can you tell I’m miffed?

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neffa's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its a community arrangement here. Local people volunteered to collect shopping, scripts, walk dogs, etc. At the start of the outbreak I had leaflets delivered from 2 people who live nearby but I don't know - with phone numbers, email addresses to contact - even if you just felt lonely and wanted a chat.
My Mum and my brother have had similar offers "leaflets" from local people so I'm surprised that there wasn't any like that in your area, Neffa.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, we had the leaflets ( a good looking firman knocked on my door handing them out Wink )etc but also local Facebook groups are worth looking at. My friend is on one of those, also the local church. My husband has to shield and even though I said I was able to get everything he said keep the number just Incase I got sick.
A 94 year old friend of my neighbour - who is pretty much blind and on her own has help from the Church Volunteers Group - but she is too embarrassed to ask them to get her whiskey - so I have to get that Big Grin and she doesn't half knock it back Big Grin
[-] The following 10 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Greenfingers, Mamzie, Mark_Riga, Neffa, PyreneesPlot, SarrissUK, Veggie