Re-potting Lily Bulbs
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I have a few oriental lilies (Beverley Dream, Snow Queen and unamed insipid orange thing!) in pots that probably ought to be repotted - is it best to do it as soon as flowering has finished, wait for dormancy or just when the first shoots appear in the spring?

Thanks as ever Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well, I've only ever grown lilies in the ground. But I wait for Autumn to split up and replant.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Thanks! After planting and losing 500+ dafs I know better than to trust the voles not to eat more expensive bulbs!

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have voles in my GH.... they are a menace but I think they are so cute!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Not when they work the way through the veg plot eating beans, cucumbers, pumpkins, leeks, chard, aubergines ...
Once I watched the cat catch and eat six out of just one veg bed in the space of an hour Sad
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Roitelet Offline
Wait until they are dormant in the Autumn. Tip them out and sort the bulbs, only replant the larger bulbs in fresh compost. To also helps to get rid of the dreaded Lily Beatle. Don’t let the bulbs dry out.
[-] The following 3 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-07-2020, 07:06 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Not when they work the way through the veg plot eating beans, cucumbers, pumpkins, leeks, chard, aubergines ...
Once I watched the cat catch and eat six out of just one veg bed in the space of an hour Sad
I planted a native hedge last year....a few months back while weeding along it I heard some noise and saw half a dozen running through it! They have already started on a few toms....
The kids kept a pet one for a few days when they were younger until I spotted them with it!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

Curly Offline
Don't know the best procedure but I would think waiting till the foliage dies back would be the best for the bulb as bulbs draw nutrients from the leaves and when you empty them out collect all the small bulblets and you can pot them up into smaller pots which will let you build up your stock without descaling the original bulbs

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(15-08-2020, 08:30 PM)Curly Wrote: Don't know the best procedure but I would think waiting till the foliage dies back would be the best for the bulb as bulbs draw nutrients from the leaves and when you empty them out collect all the small bulblets and you can pot them up into smaller pots which will let you build up your stock without descaling the original bulbs

I think that's what I'll do, thanks. It's a bit of a quieter time, too Smile