Garden superstition
Mikey Offline
So my parsley this year is terrible, I've had about 5 sprigs from three rows, and it reminded me of the saying Parsley grows where the missus is the master, to put it another way where the missus is the master parsley grows the faster.

There are loads of superstitions around vegetable, herbs and wild bounty and I thought this might be a good spot to collate them.  Smile

So, Parsley is a funny one, as there's another saying that parsley goes to the devil 9 times and very often forgets to come back, meaning that it is a devil to germinate.

Plus you should never give away parsley for fear of bad luck, or transplant it for that mind. (I'm guilty of that one, which is probably why mine isn't growing.!)

I also like the blackberry saying don't pick after all hallows eve as the devil will have infested the berries. Which to be fair is pretty accurate, that late in the season they are normally full of grubs.

What superstitions do you remember, or have been told? I'm sure more will come to my mind shortly.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Grandma used to say to get rid of a wart rub it with the inside of a broad bean shell. Also that ladies wee helped leeks grow.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know the blackberry one as "Don't pick after September as the Devil will have peed on them". Not quite so ladylike a saying as yours, Mikey Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey

Jimny14 Offline
"Ne'er cast a clout til May be out"

So I've always know this as keep your vest on until hawthorn is in full flower, not until June.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
The only one I’ve heard is a slight different variation about parsley. Which is, only the boss can grow parsley.

Different but basically the same as 9 times out of 10 the boss is the missus  Wink .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:

Curly Offline
B
(14-07-2020, 02:40 PM)Small chilli Wrote: The only one I’ve heard is a slight different variation about parsley. Which is, only the boss can grow parsley.

Different but basically the same as 9 times out of 10 the boss is the missus  Wink .

Po ssibly in your house but not everywhere
[-] The following 2 users Like Curly's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-07-2020, 02:54 PM)Curly Wrote: B
(14-07-2020, 02:40 PM)Small chilli Wrote: The only one I’ve heard is a slight different variation about parsley. Which is, only the boss can grow parsley.

Po ssibly in your house but not everywhere
Absolutely in my house  Cool .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:

Mikey Offline
It’s in every house Curly, and across the animal kingdom the man doesn’t rule the roost. He might think he does but that just means his partner is more cunning.

There’s a song with the line ‘The female of the species is more deadly than the male’, which I have sung along to many a time oblivious to the lyrics.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Moth

JJB Offline
Moonraker
My dad had a sign in the house that read 'I am the master of this house! Whatever my wife says shall be done.' How right it was in our house as I was growing up.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Jimny14, Mikey

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
My dad had a sign that said something similar, it was

I’m the boss of this house and I have my wife’s permission to say so.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Mikey