Has anyone tried growing samphire?
Broadway Offline
That's it really☺
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
No, though I did buy some seeds many years ago.

That's it really. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

SarrissUK Offline
I would like to try! I love samphire! I'm lucky enough to live in Grimsby though, so I can go buy samphire from any of the fish shops on the docks Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Tried and failed.
Will try again at some point
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
Disgusting stuff, rather eat tin tomatoes and there rank
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

SarrissUK Offline
(13-07-2020, 07:14 PM)Admin Wrote: Disgusting stuff, rather eat tin tomatoes and there rank

haha I guess it's a bit like marmite - you either love or hate it. I love the crunchiness, that it's salty and I actually prefer it as a snack, raw, rather than cooked!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I’ve never eaten the stuff, never even seen it for sale
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
They sold it in Morrisons when I last lived near one a few years ago. I liked it, but never really knew what to do with it. I mostly ate it as a side with scrambled eggs. Sounds like it might be fun to try growing, but what kind of conditions does it need?
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Yes I used to get it from Morrisons, usually had it as a side with fish dishes........

Germination Instructions-
Sow indoors in spring. Surface sow onto moist, well-drained seed compost. Just cover seed with a sprinkling of soil. Place somewhere warm, ideal temp. 25°C. Germination takes 1-3 weeks approx. but can be erratic. Once seedlings are 2-3cm tall transplant to individual pots of free-draining sandy soil and grow on. Grow on under glass or acclimatise and place pots outside after danger of frost has passed.

Growing Instructions-
Prefers a light, well-drained sandy soil in full sun. Samphire is best watered with a saline solution of 1 teaspoon of real sea salt dissolved in one pint (568ml) of water. Do not use table salt as this contains a caking agent which will kill the plant. Due to the plants salty requirements it is preferable to keep Samphire in a container or pot. Samphire is happy in a pot on a windowsill, container planted on the patio or in the garden. Keep the soil moist at all times. Harvest shoots from June-August, after which the shoots become woody.

Cultivation Instructions-
This plant will self-seed freely. Treat as a cut and come again for harvesting, leaving about 4 weeks between each cut. When the Samphire stems turn red it indicates it is about to flower and set seed. If you wish to have volunteer seedlings allow this process towards the end of the growing season.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

SarrissUK Offline
I melt butter in a frying pan, chuck in a bit of garlic if I feel frivolous, then pile on the samphire and just toss it in the butter for a couple of minutes. It needs to still be crunchy I think.
I have it as a side dish with fish or stirred into risotto last minute Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB