Overzealous council?
Mikey Offline
I was wondering what other thought about what happened to the in-laws the other day. The council came out to remove a hornets nest from a tree in their front garden and charged them £69 for the privilege. They were neither aware of the nest or had called them, apparently someone had called the council as the hornets were flying around on the footpath close by. 

Now if I was to call out the council to remove something from my property rats for example I wouldn’t be charged. So why are my in laws being charged for the removal of a wild animal that has chosen to nest in their garden, when they weren’t the one to request it. Seems more than a little off to me. What do you think?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
I think that’s ridiculous, can they not argue that if they'd known it was their responsibility they could have had it removed a lot cheaper, or removed it themselves?

I can’t believe there was no dialogue before it was removed.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie

Jay Offline
Yes I agree with Danny, ridiculous situation. I would definitely not let this go!!
West of Scotland
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Bren Offline
That doesn't sound right at all Mikey Sad

They need help sorting this out my first call would be to contact Citizens Advice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
Thanks, at least I know it’s not just me. I’m not sure they’ll take my advise I might have to get OH on the case.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Are they sure they were Hornets (not wasps) and if so, were they Asian Hornets?

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife/...ur-hornets

If they were Common Hornets they're not as aggressive as wasps - according to https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-...sps/hornet
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think that's ridiculous - before undertaking any work you take a name and contact details - not just an address. I would contact the council to redirect the bill to the person who made the phonecall.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Mikey Offline
Apparently, the council don't offer pest removal themselves, it is farmed out but, as the infestation was on a footpath next to the road forcing pedestrians to walk around it, and into the road, it was classed as a nuisance and therefore the legal obligation of removal fell on my inlaws shoulders. I still think it's wrong, I don't see how you can be responsible for the nuisance value of a wild animal.

They were definitely hornets V, though I couldn't say if they were the Asian hornet, as I didn't see a close-up picture of them.
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Did the pest people need to go into the garden?
If they did, surely they should have asked permission first - in fact, I think they should have asked first if they have "damaged" the plant that the hornets were in.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Mikey Offline
The in-laws will no longer discuss it with the OH, ‘it’s done’ apparently. I think they feel a little foolish for having accepted it without question, and now won’t let us get involved. They can be stubborn like that some times (can’t we all), and you get the backlash if you try and push too hard.
  • Veggie