Bees nest in shed...I think.
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I think I have a bees nest in my shed. They seem to be going into a crack between the roof and the front of shed above the door. They may be wasps but I don't think so.
If they are bees I don't mind but wonder how long they will be active. I didn't have the nerve to stick my head in the door and look up and wonder how big the nest will be?
I usually just lean in and grab tools so I can live with them being there.
Any info appreciated. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've had several wasps' nests this year - in a GH, 2 in a compost bin hanging from the plastic lid, a big one in the garage and there's one under the eaves outside my bedroom window They seem particularly active this year.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Jimny14 Offline
Think we may have had two wasp nests started but not seen any activity recently so think they've possibly moved on. Their favourite place in our house is in the eaves above the corner bedroom on the north east (most sheltered area due to prevailing weather) they have made two nests there in 5 years, and you can hear the activity in the room. The other, I saw lots of activity in an air brick on the orangery earlier in the year but again nothing since and no sounds.

Personally I'd keep a close eye just to make sure it's not wasps. If it's bees I'd leave them be and just be quiet and gentle when going in and out. I'm less happy with wasps.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
I had a bees nest in my old shed over the allotment and asked the bee keepers on site what I should do.

I was informed they were male bees that were visable waiting for a queen to emerge and then try and mate with her. Apparently male bees cant sting but I never chanced it, activity lasted about 4 months

I had a couple of wasp nests in the ground a few years back....funny but they disappeared when I had a fire there
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The Wasp man ;0 tells me that he sprayed the nest in the garage with hot soapy water, which soaked the nest and it fell off the  roof (then blocked up the access hole) and the ones in the compost bin got in the way of the flame thrower.
The ones under the eaves are still there - so I keep that window closed.
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I think my first priority is firstly to ascertain what they are.? How big would a bees nest be? I've had wasp nests usually not much bigger than a tennis ball.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Wasp nests are those papery ones - the one in the garage was much larger than a tennis ball.
AFAIK Bees don't make those papery nests.
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Just got rid of a wasp nest as big as a very large melon, but I've seen reports of them much larger.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man