Species pelargonium
Farendwoman Offline
(24-04-2021, 08:25 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: One I’ve got was given to me many years ago as apple scented, but to my mind it smells just like tea tree oil.
Almost unpleasantly medicinal.I’ll go and take a photo.

[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Farendwoman Offline
My favourite is Pelargonium graveolens. Beautiful to look at and beautiful scent almost like Turkish Delight ( that’s what it smells like to me anyway).
I put it in blackberry jam and also keep a few leaves in a jar of sugar.
Never sure what to use the scented sugar for though!
It’s also lovely as cut foliage in small bunches as it lasts so long.
I agree with you Scarlet, P. Sidoides is just lovely, but all my species geraniums seem to ramp away and become leggy far too quickly.
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
    Off topic because this isn’t a species geranium (sorry), but this is a beauty.
Had it years ago when you used to be able to buy a job lot of “Startel” geraniums for a few quid. This is the sole survivor and it seems to flower almost all year round. It’s the only geranium I have trouble with taking cuttings from too. Would love to be able to increase it.
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I love that one Few, I will get some more going. I am hoping to get a little collection going to replace my jungle of pots on my yard. A few of these with interesting leaf shapes and smells is enough for me.

Interesting you mentioned the leggy growth. I've experimented on a couple of mine and pinched out the growing tip to encourage side growth - I will let you know how they do.

The overwintered ones I've cut back hard and they have all put out some more growth. I think taking cuttings is the way to go here Big Grin cutting back should produce less leggy plants and you can experiment with striking the cuttings?

Though my sidoides is very leggy and I can't bear to cut into it for fear of losing it Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman

Farendwoman Offline
Yes I’m going to have a go with P.Sidoides cuttings. I’ve got two old plants, that.
, like you I’ve been nervous about hacking about. They are SO leggy and ugly now though that I might as well have a go.
Several years ago I had a smashing geranium called P Ardens. I tried to take cuttings from that and the cuttings died and so did the mother plant.
Lesson learnt?
Perhaps I’ll just hack one of my Sidoides. No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have seen photos of p ardens and really fancied it...I can only order trees and bulbs this year - nothing for pots!
  • Farendwoman

Spec Offline
Received my order of mixed Species Pelargonium today, was going to sow them in a tray of vermiculite, but have decided to wait a bit before doing that, as when heading for the greenhouse I got battered by hail, I know things should be OK with using either the hot bed or propagator but as we are still getting frost here everything could be lost if there is a power cut, so will hold fire till its a bit warmer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Scarlet

Spec Offline
Scarlet the seed packet that I have, comes from Fibrex, Mixed Species Pelargonium, is £5. a packet, approximately 7 seeds, which is fine but harvested 09/19 and sow by 09/21, which at that price is a bit limiting

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-05-2021, 05:09 PM)Spec Wrote: Scarlet the seed packet that I have, comes from Fibrex, Mixed Species Pelargonium, is £5. a packet, approximately 7 seeds, which is fine but harvested 09/19 and sow by 09/21, which at that price is a bit limiting
I was a bit miffed when I got mine last year in March with 7 seeds...and a sow by date of need 2020.
But I had about 16 seeds and I had approx 14 germinate. Germination was quite quick for a few and then I kept the tray in the GH and they randomly germinated. I know the seed pack was expensive bu but I thought as the results were very good it was worth it? I covered the tray with a lid to keep it moist.
  • Spec

Spec Offline
I have now sown the Pelargonium seeds, to impatient to wait, as going with the predicted temperatures it could be a while before it starts heating up, sown in a mix of vermiculite and compost, then covered with compost, and a clingfilm lid, now on the propagator
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Scarlet