Are you totally organic?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I know it's an emotive question and maybe a bit too personal,  but are you organic.

To start off I'll confess.  I am until such time as I lose my rag at the pests then I resort to the least inorganic methods to get rid.
If you are organic,  and I can guess who might be Smile, what do you do with a precious crop that the pests have invaded?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Organic in terms of fertliser, except for heavy feeding plants in containers and in the greenhouse e.g. tomatoes and courgettes. The only things I spray plants with are castile soap and neem oil, mostly if aphids/whitefly are getting out of control early in the season or if plants are under enviromesh where the aphid predators can't get to them. Also, very occasionally, potassium bicarbonate for bad cases of powdery mildew on squash.

The only things I have ever used weedkiller on are woody things like brambles, buddleija etc. growing in the wall, where pulling them out isn't an option. Also ground elder, though I'm now digging it out instead as it seems to be weakening.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Not totally - I don't buy organically produced seeds or plants. I don't spray bar Bordeaux mixture on the tomatoes, which is quite moot.
Pests seem pretty balanced now, after ten years of battles. I am just waiting for the wolves to arrive (they are geting very close!) as natural predators of the deer, by far the most destructive pest in the garden!
I have been known to spray the scale insect on my ornamental holly in a pot because soft soap just didn't cut it and nothing seems to eat them.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I feed my toms with Tomorite or Seaweed extract - depends on whats to hand at the time.
Don't use weedkiller but have been using vinegar and washing up liquid on the marestail and other weeds in the block paving. Its knocking it back, if not killing it completely.
Use chicken manure pellets and sometimes BFB as feed.
Net the brassicas and some fruit.
Share the rest with wildlife.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Very much the same as me, BFB on ground but a commercial tomato feed and this year with a muck tea supplement. I've tried bicarb solution on calendula to battle the downy mildew, I'm hopeful and a second dose is looming. I did resort to spraying the b beans with something I had to hand which was non organic. I too don't go for organically grown items food or seed. Its interesting to hear everyone's views. I wonder how many others will join in.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
As little as possible non organic. Dont use chemical control for slugs etc as have an inquisitive child in garden. Try to feed as naturally as possible mainly due to costs, make own compost, am trying to get in to making liquid feed with nettles etc. Use a bit of BFB and as I was given Tomatoes this year have got some tom feed for them. Organic no, trying not really but my choices mainly end up that way if not certified as such.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
I buy one lot of commercial tom feed after thats gone its comfrey.
Nettle feed for brassicas
BFB through the season
Encover and garlic for black fly

I'm not organic but I do enjoy gardening Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I use tomato feed, but nothing much else... and only use a few squirts of a spray if I find a plant completely inundated with bugs of some kind. That doesn't happen very often.

So yes, most of the time I'd say I try to grow as organically as I can, but I'm not sure where tomato feed leaves me Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I think the upshot is that we all try our very best to be green, organic and kind to the environment, and only break ranks when we have to, which is laudable.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, SarrissUK, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Not deliberately using pest control, but can I say I am organic...no

I have no idea what is in the manure I get but know its aminopyralid free.

I just follow the ants to find hidden pests on crops and netting on brassicas.
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, SarrissUK, Veggie