Potato Fork
Mikey Offline
So I've always dug up my spuds with a 5 pronged fork, and I always end up stabbing at least a dozen spuds in the process which I can't then put in sand and save for later in the year. I've been looking for historical potato forks to see how they used to do it in the past to avoid stabbing the precious cargo. I wondered if there was a way of attaching round balls like ping pong balls to the end of the fork to see if that would stop the waste.

Any ideas?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hammer the end of each tine flat like a mini spadelet?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Mikey, my digging fork for spuds is a 3 prong flat and you don’t dig down into wher the spuds are you dig down then drag across the drill, I’ll take photo later and post it.  I also have a pronged basket fork with steel balls on the end of the pangs which we always used for shifting turf, but I have seen others use it for shifting potatoes up only after they have been dug not digging with.

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
I love those forks, I can't flatten my fork V, it's my only fork, now I've snapped the handle off my stainless steel fork. I'd need to see a vdeo of what you do CTM as I'm not totally sure I follow.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I just use a spade and dig it in quite a way from the spud row when digging? Never had any problems. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have one like this

[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
At the moment, I'm only furtling, so I've got some time before I'll need to dig up the haums. I'm tempted to get a second-hand gumtree/ebay fork and try to flatten the tines.

I can always try sticking the tines in my pizza oven to heat up the tines before hammering. I don't have an anvil but, I'm hoping a concrete block might suffice.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man